Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the search for cheap jeans, I tried on Levis 501s and 505s this weekend. The 501s were too tight in the thigh (I have disproportionately muscular legs, too much soccer and cycling when I was younger). The 505's fit well, but they only come in two bland almost identical colors.

Anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate that this post might border on fashion forum territory, but I ask here because I am interested in conservative, but still well made and fitting, jeans.

Is the solution to relegate jeans purely to an afternoon yardwork post and only go out in pants? Invariably some will say yes, but I am not quite ready to submit to that solution yet, so I pose it to the forum.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "cheap" and what you're looking for in jeans. I wear $12 Costco jeans for hunting and ranch work, but wouldn't wear them to dinner. Same for Wranglers.

I also wear Lucky and APC jeans, depending on the occasion.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
See, I have heard good things about APC and similar brands, but I just don't have the $155 to shell out. I guess what I am looking for is something that approximates more expensive jeans at lower prices. Kind of the way Levi's does with the 501 shrink to fit jeans. Anyone have any suggestions similar to this?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I understand you can find Levis in very dark washes at Kohls and that certain Levi models are similar to APC models. There really aren't good options for quality selvedge--at least not any that I am aware of.

Occasionally, GAP and J Crew will have lower end selvedge on sale for ~$40. That might be a good bet.

I have been quite happy with Lucky Brand jeans. I usually get them at Costco or The Rack (both of which are hit and miss) for under $50.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I find that the Kirkland brand jeans at Costco are similar to the fit I remember of the 501's of my youth.

They work for either yard work or more dressed up with a pair of oxfords, OCBD and and a tweed jacket.

And talk about cheap - $12 a pair :icon_smile:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I like my older Levis 559s, they are relaxed fit and come in a few different washes. Seems they changed this fit to be a bit snugger so I go for the 569s now and they fit almost the same as the 559s used to.
To be honest, I have a pair of Canyon River Blues from Sears and they are my favorite pair of jeans. They are relaxed fit in a very nice dark blue wash and they are very comfortable and look pretty good especially at $14. Just make sure to try them on and check the stitching, I have an older pair of CRBs and the seam at the crotch is not sewn well and feels like it will just come apart, but the newer dark blue ones are put together very well. Also if one pair doesn't fit quite right grab another pair in the same style and try it on because I don't think they do all that much quality control, but a good pair are quite nice.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Go with two choices:

Levi's 550's (they are relaxed fit but not baggy) = approximately $33 - $35 on sale

Levi Strauss Signature Jeans - you can get these for $18 - $20 at places like Walmart.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There's something about Regular Fit Wranglers that I love every now and then. $15 or so at Wal-Mart, I can wear them out and not worry about messing up my pants. Plus they have just the right amount of snugness that's enjoyable to wear sometimes. I wouldn't dare buy "designer" denim, I stick to Bill's for a dressier casual pant.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TDI,

the sizing is not the same. they recommend adding 1-2 inches in the waist and 3-4 inches in the length.

then wear them into the bath and let them dry as you wear them.

it sounds like quite a process, and none too scientific, but I have seen the results when it is done well, and it is very impressive. also, considering they are only $35 or so, I could order three pairs to get the size just right and still be ahead of the game.

thanks for the suggestions Thom

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Pointers are very popular in the more rural areas here in Tennessee. Many older men wore the jeans and overalls when I was in college in Bristol. I don't own any so I can't speak for quality or fit, but I'm sure they are atleast on par with those of other brands in the same price range from what I have seen of them.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
A month ago I purchased a pair of these Land's End ringspun five pocket jeans on sale.

I quickly went back for another pair, and I ordered two more pairs form the catalog today. 13.5 oz. and a much more expensive feel to them. The Traditional fit models I have are what I would call slightly relaxed.

The price is right,...

The Dark Indigo wears very well with a white pinpoint and shell cordovan loafers,...

Best wishes,

Bill Woodward
Portland, Oregon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.