Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are only showing 5 different types of jacket, one is a very sharp navy Bridge Coat but this one really caught my eye, tell me this isn't just spectacular for a summer odd jacket - wow !

half wool and half linen - double vents ....yes please !

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
They are having a big sale/clearance at the moment and in the UK, the best bargains can be found outside of CT stores. I saw a lot of CT at TK Maxx store and with better prices, even for the same product.

With the exchange rate at 1:1.42, good bargains for American CT fans if they can use the UK website or get someone to order for them. CT Navy single or double-breasted blazer for $136 (£95) reduced from £225; however, on the US website it is $225 (£158), reduced from $600. Better option then the $139 Anderson Little blazer, if you can get the CT blazer for the UK price.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's strange is that they seem to be using a terrible 1:2 conversion rate if you click the American Flag icon that converts the Pound to dollars. Suddenly it isn't as appealing. I wonder what would happen if I bought it in pounds using an Amex card, I would hope that it defaulted at least to Amex's currency conversion rate. I would also want to avoid VAT.

Does anyone know how this would work ?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
What's strange is that they seem to be using a terrible 1:2 conversion rate if you click the American Flag icon that converts the Pound to dollars. Suddenly it isn't as appealing. I wonder what would happen if I bought it in pounds using an Amex card, I would hope that it defaulted at least to Amex's currency conversion rate. I would also want to avoid VAT.

Actually, I checked quite a few UK clothing sites this a.m. and they all appear to be using that 1:2 ratio. Given the true exchange rate is so much better than that, I can't understand why they are doing this if they really want to unload their inventory in this climate.

·
Registered
316 Posts

I ask all UK customer service if they charge me in dollars or pounds.

For instance, Lewin would charge me in pounds. I called Visa and asked them what today's exchange rate and they said at the time it was $1.47 PLUS 3%. Lewin L19 shirts were really cheap. But I decided to wait.

Amex, Visa, Mastercard, etc all have their own processes for doing this- such as setting the exchange rate daily. Email the store's customer service and then call your card to determine what the price is.

Because I'm a noveau riche philistine, I was thinking about going the monogrammed route on some shirts, but then the question was what the daily exchange rate would be on the day they were processed- days after my original order.

I haven't pulled the trigger on Jermyn St shirts yet (I picked up some $35 Thomas Pinks on ebay that will sate me for now), but I will soon I think.

If the store was going to charge you in dollars then they would use the dollars that you see on their website.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Actually, I checked quite a few UK clothing sites this a.m. and they all appear to be using that 1:2 ratio. Given the true exchange rate is so much better than that, I can't understand why they are doing this if they really want to unload their inventory in this climate.
I would suggest that they are unprepared to market to Americans.

The winter clearance sales are amazing this year.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I would suggest that they are unprepared to market to Americans.
Companies have different prices for different countries and they normally favour their home country, this is a fairly common practice. For example, Ralph Lauren is more expensive in the UK, a RRP $50 polo t-shirt may be £60 RRP in the UK. CT clearly use the same strategy, they have a higher RRP in the US then in the UK.

Sometimes companies favour country-of-production. The Discovery Channel cycling clothes (Nike) were made in Italy and it was cheaper in the UK and Europe then in the US. Some North American cyclists use UK-based cycling websites for a cheaper price even after shipping costs. For example, a short-sleeve team jersey would cost £40 RRP in the UK but the equivalent of about £60 RRP in the US, considering the difference of shorts too, there is a £40-50 price difference.

In addition, credit card companies use a difference currency rate; if the rate is 1:1.42, they may charge 1:1.60

·
Registered
316 Posts
If anyone cares, the one card I checked with had a 1.509 exchange rate today. That includes their fees. I am tempted to jump in on that sale, but will probably wait until the fall. Hope that helps people make decisions.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Companies have different prices for different countries and they normally favour their home country, this is a fairly common practice. For example, Ralph Lauren is more expensive in the UK, a RRP $50 polo t-shirt may be £60 RRP in the UK. CT clearly use the same strategy, they have a higher RRP in the US then in the UK.

Sometimes companies favour country-of-production. The Discovery Channel cycling clothes (Nike) were made in Italy and it was cheaper in the UK and Europe then in the US. Some North American cyclists use UK-based cycling websites for a cheaper price even after shipping costs. For example, a short-sleeve team jersey would cost £40 RRP in the UK but the equivalent of about £60 RRP in the US, considering the difference of shorts too, there is a £40-50 price difference.

In addition, credit card companies use a difference currency rate; if the rate is 1:1.42, they may charge 1:1.60
I will agree with that, but when you factor in stores that don't deduct VAT and have high shipping (like Liberty), it does discourage commerce.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.