Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a simple guy, I typically only wear navy and charcoal suits. I want to spice things up w/ some brown shoes. I have my eye on walnut calf AE Evanstons and or Bel Airs. Should they be relegated to navy only?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
No, I routinely wear brown shoes with charcoal and I think they look great. Just be careful the shoes are relatively darker in color, or you will suffer the dreaded running shoe look at first glance..

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I think you should be able to wear with both suits; however, that would depend on the shade of charcoal.

Charcoal grey is darker then charcoal.

With charcoal suit, yes.
With charcoal grey suit, maybe. (Even if it does not go well together, you will still be able to getaway with it).

·
Registered
816 Posts
No, I routinely wear brown shoes with charcoal and I think they look great. Just be careful the shoes are relatively darker in color, or you will suffer the dreaded running shoe look at first glance..
I agree. I always wear black with my charcoal suit. If you want to wear brown, stick to a darker shade. The contrast between light brown and charcoal will "pop out" too much and it will be the only thing people notice.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I generally do not like mixing solid charcoals (non-flannel) with brown as I find the colors don't match well

But their are some hues of charcoal which can do well with darker brown shoes...For example, I have a charcoal woolen flannel suit with a burgundy stripe. The shoes are a dark brown Espresso by G&G. The flannels burgundy stripe brings out the slight red hue in the Espresso and thus I enjoy wearing the charcoal cloth with the brown shoe...but its the burgundy stripe which brings out the earth tones in the charcoal itself that allows it to be paired with the brown emanating from the shoes

Tomorrow I'll try this Charcoal flannel mixed with a G&G Vintage Oak brown boot (heavily antiqued) to see how this works (pics to follow)

But once I get to dark grey...let alone mid-grey, I feel black works best and the brown just doesn't do well (pics to follow tomorrow.

When I see a forum member sharing pics with beautiful bespoke grey suits coupled with brown shoes (especially lighter brown shades)...I'm REVOLTED

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
For a formal or business affair, then black bals are a must. Otherwise you could go with a darker brown or even walnut. Dark brown suede would be a nice option and would add some richness to the outfit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Monochrome Charcoal, dark by definition, in a business or serious setting, requires black shoes - and that is my personal preference in all settings. In a relaxed setting dark brown is all right in the day or outside the City, if there are accessories that take up the colour like the pocket square, tie, hat etc, otherwise you are drawing attention solely(!) to your shoes, not to your person or face as it should be. Black shoes will always look the most elegant, brown shoes most casual. Oxblood is right in between black and dark brown, and, again, if accessories relate to that colour, it can be a good choice in a daytime setting that is not too business-oriented.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Like you my suits are charcoal and navy. My dress shoes are black and burgundy. I just think that burgundy is far more elegant than brown and especially looks good with navy. Having said that, with my charcoal suit I always wear black shoes.

Cruiser

·
Registered
142 Posts
In a relaxed setting dark brown is all right in the day or outside the City...

I don't want to steer this conversation too far off topic, but I'm wondering what constitutes "the City?" When I read posts that mention not wearing brown in the city, it makes me wonder what that actually means. Does that term in this context signify a major metropolitan area or simply not a farm/wilderness? Is suburbia part of the city? Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Like you my suits are charcoal and navy. My dress shoes are black and burgundy. I just think that burgundy is far more elegant than brown and especially looks good with navy. Having said that, with my charcoal suit I always wear black shoes.

Cruiser
Personally, I don't know what is MORE elegant than a pair of cordovan oxfords that have been shined to a mirror finish.....with navy or gray.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.