Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just saw the trailer for this. 1969 Ted Kennedy car crash movie. Everyone is quite trad. I wasn't sure how to post the trailer if maybe someone else could

· Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely a must see for trad and Kennedy fans. Kind of disturbing how Teddy would rise to power even after something like this happened

· Premium Member
7,063 Posts
There is a book in my collection, published around 1970 entitled "Teddy Bare", which is one of the best accounts of the incident I have found.

If you can locate a copy, I recommend it.

Cheers,

BSR
Your recommendation is sufficient for me - I have purchased a paperback copy, with a lurid yellow cover design.
I, too, have secured a copy. I was looking for some reading materials for an upcoming cruise. Thank you for the recommendation.

Facial expression Product Jaw Font Line

· Registered
2,460 Posts
I would say that the author does an excellent job of setting out the facts and detailing the timeline and obfuscation of the Kennedy clan and their political supporters to hide the truth.

The characters for whom I feel the greatest sympathy, other than the victim and her family, are the low level political and police officials on the Vineyard, all beholden to Kennedy power, who were completely incapable, despite pangs of conscience, to stand up for that poor girl by attempting to hold Teddy minimally accountable.

Just a terrible tragedy for so many.

Cheers,

BSR

· Registered
240 Posts
You know, like a lot of people I grew up as a JFK admirer: handsome guy, rich, beautiful wife, political achievement. . . but as I got older, and learned more, I got more skeptical about the man and the family. Hard to romanticize as I did when a youth. Hard to appreciate the value of a political dynasty idea, for either party, when we live in American democracy.

I might see the movie, especially if the reviews are good.

· Registered
13,646 Posts
You know, like a lot of people I grew up as a JFK admirer: handsome guy, rich, beautiful wife, political achievement. . . but as I got older, and learned more, I got more skeptical about the man and the family. Hard to romanticize as I did when a youth. Hard to appreciate the value of a political dynasty idea, for either party, when we live in American democracy.

I might see the movie, especially if the reviews are good.
I am choosing my words carefully so as to not make this a political post.

I think a lot of people from a certain generation - myself included - have had a similar arc with JFK and the Kennedys.

While we were always a bit suspicious of Teddy, it wasn't until more (apparently, factual) information about the father (bootlegging, "shady" financial deals and womanizing) and JFK (hiding his health condition, womanizing) came out that the glow went off.

Unless the reviews are "that" good, I'm pretty much "done" with the Kennedys (not that they are losing any sleep over it).

· Registered
25 Posts
I'm going to be honest with you guys, around Boston area this is kind of still to this day a sore subject with a lot of people. Very much like all of the ****** Bulger, and other Boston mob movies have been.

This Chappaquiddick incident, and it's resulting coverups, has been etched in the minds of so many from New England's consciousnesses for so long as a real low point for people around the area.

Much in the same way that the John's rise to power kind of legitimized a certain 'Boston, Massachusetts aspiring upper-middle life style' that so many of us live in, this incident still hangs in our hearts as a real sour time.

Ted had been a real cultural icon for so long in liberal politics, and in Boston in general that he seemed like some kind of invincible icon of our way of life.

When Chappaquiddick happened, in some small ways people became kind of are ashamed of being from New England, and from being part of the greater NE culture from this incident in a way that seriously still takes the wind out of their sails to this day.

The thought that an accident, AND a serious cover-up this big could happen with people we really looked up to, and were proud of was sad, for all the reasons you would expect.

I've been kind of trying to avoid posting about it for similar reasons, but i figured why the heck not mention it. I'm sure people outside of New England probably don't care and i'm fine with that. I just think it's interesting that you obviously don't have the same mixed feelings.

· Registered
13,646 Posts
I'm going to be honest with you guys, around Boston area this is kind of still to this day a sore subject with a lot of people. Very much like all of the ****** Bulger, and other Boston mob movies have been.

This Chappaquiddick incident, and it's resulting coverups, has been etched in the minds of so many from New England's consciousnesses for so long as a real low point for people around the area.

Much in the same way that the John's rise to power kind of legitimized a certain 'Boston, Massachusetts aspiring upper-middle life style' that so many of us live in, this incident still hangs in our hearts as a real sour time.

Ted had been a real cultural icon for so long in liberal politics, and in Boston in general that he seemed like some kind of invincible icon of our way of life.

When Chappaquiddick happened, in some small ways people became kind of are ashamed of being from New England, and from being part of the greater NE culture from this incident in a way that seriously still takes the wind out of their sails to this day.

The thought that an accident, AND a serious cover-up this big could happen with people we really looked up to, and were proud of was sad, for all the reasons you would expect.

I've been kind of trying to avoid posting about it for similar reasons, but i figured why the heck not mention it. I'm sure people outside of New England probably don't care and i'm fine with that. I just think it's interesting that you obviously don't have the same mixed feelings.
I was born and grew up in NJ and spent all but 8 years of my adult life living in NYC. Those 8 other years were spent living in Boston - I fully understand your post.

· Registered
2,460 Posts
A very interesting and frank discussion about a riveting topic.

I spent my honeymoon on the Vineyard and worked on Nantucket for a summer a few years ago. Given my association with the area, it is interesting to hear the perspectives of those who reside in the area and how this event impacts them on a personal level.

Cheers,

BSR

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.