Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if it is possible to change a double breasted coat from 6 buttons with 1 to use to 6 buttons with 2 to use. I don't mean by pressing, I mean is it possible to go inside and change the handbasted canvas so that the lapels fold naturally to the top buttonhole. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Banned
991 Posts
My alterations tailor performed just such a modification on an old grey glen plaid unvented 6x1 DB Corneliani suit that I had sitting in unworn in my closet. She did the following:
  • Removed the big shoulder pads, leaving only a moderate amount of padding
  • Raised the shoulders
  • Created a new buttonhole in the front closure to permit 6x2 buttoning
  • Re-configured the front buttons from a "keystone" stance to a less v-like configuration that is more congenial to 6x2 closure
Note that she did't create a new inside buttonhole nor add a new inside button; as a result the lapels migtht look a little off-balance. I will probably correct this once the weather cools down and I'm no longer wearing this relatively lightweight suit.

I do like the results. They remind me of a kind of '30s - '40s Hollywood look, and I always get compliments when I wear this garment.

Here are some photos:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.