Men's Clothing Forums banner

Historic Election First?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The subject has come up, but I decided to make a poll. However, I'm being kind to those that refuse to face the reality of Yes/No questions and give you a bailout option. :icon_smile_big:

The election of the first black man is a national historic election first worthy of celebrating? Yes, No, or Bail?

Link for those that still haven't heard the news https://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D961N34G1&show_article=1

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
By defining Obama as black ( I believe his mother was white, so isn't he technically grey?) we still have our hands stuck to the ********. All I see is another american, this guy in my nieghborhood.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I guess when it's a republican it doesn't count.

·
2,973 Posts
By defining Obama as black ( I believe his mother was white, so isn't he technically grey?) we still have our hands stuck to the ********. All I see is another american, this guy in my nieghborhood.
Semantics aside, I think the election of the first president of African ancestry is historic and worthy of celebration.

Regards,
Gurdon

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I hate people who get all up in arms and say that Obama is half white and stop this "black president" nonsense and that hius election is nothing to write home about. Those same people would also be up in arms if their daughter brought him home to marry her because then I bet he'd be black, and not, "half white".

I vote yes...anything for a celebration!

·
Registered
996 Posts
oops!

Okay, I screwed up and thought we were still ten days ago too.
An intelligent man of partial African ancestry taking the reigns from an abysmal Caucasian failure is not that stupendous, in my opinion.
My comments still hold. Whatever boob thought Palin and Joe the Plumber (or taking a pro-Bush's War and offshore drilling stance) were gamesavers was inept enough to be replaced by any random person.

More importantly, how can one be chairman of an organization of which one is not a member?

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More importantly, how can one be chairman of an organization of which one is not a member?
By rule.

RULE NO. 5
Officers of the Republican National Committee
(a) The officers of the Republican National
Committee shall consist of:
(1) A chairman and a co-chairman
of the opposite sex who shall be elected by the
members of the Republican National Committee. The
chairman or co-chairman need not be a member of the
Republican National Committee. Except as otherwise
ordered by a majority of the members of the Republican
National Committee present and voting on the matter,
the chairman and the co-chairman shall be full-time,
paid employees of the Republican National Committee.
The chairman shall be the chief executive officer of the
Republican National Committee. The chairman or cochairman
may be removed from office only by a twothirds
(2/3) vote of the entire Republican National​
Committee.
https://www.gop.com//images/legal/2008_RULES_Adopted.pdf

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
The name Bush hardly hails from the Steppes of Central Asia. O.K. already, I agree. This is a turning point in our
collective social history. I will call up the Franklin Mint and get that plate before they break the mold after 90 days And I will defer to the old antebellum 1% blood rule and cease and desist any pride in Obama being part irish. And I will forget I took orders from a female, black Commander and that it took a black medical captain raising hell to get me into reconstructive surgery after 18 months with half my face crushed.
So onward and upward. Perhaps the black community can become equally progressive and extend equal rights to gays in California. Post exit polls show blacks voted overwhelmingly for Proposition 8.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I guess when it's a republican it doesn't count.
I assume you're talking about Dr. Rice (who, unlike Kissinger, was never referred to in the media with her academic title), and General Powell.

The reason for celebration should be that it doesn't matter. We don't care.

Obama wasn't on the balcony of the Lorraine Motel. He didn't march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge. He wasn't chased by dogs or have a cross burned on his lawn. He didn't inherit the strength of that legacy, and he didn't inherit the weaknesses - candidates like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton always had an element of "we need to get stuff from the whiteys to make up for what we were denied fifty years ago."

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
There are a lot of americans of african ancestry never fully aknowledged. We roll out the Tuskeegee Airmen oblivious to a WW1 black aviator who's life reads like pulp fiction.
The captian of the Revenue Cutter Rush was black, famous for being the only law and protection for native peoples against the sealing fleets ( and gave us the term 'beat the Rush')
Lots of people worth knowing. Lets hope Obama is 'the real McCoy.'

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Since it was Obama that selected the new Chairman of the Democratic Party he was in full force and effect the leader of the party. Don't get bogged down in the titles for actual leadership of either party. Thus The Republicans are making a childish "Me Too!" statement.
While I do not know yet what advantage a black leadership image in the Republican party might offer, I do know that not much has changed with blacks in lesser positions.

Thus we do not have a First of any sort. It is just another political game that everyone is supposed to take at face value and we as good sheep must never ever delve into the reality of the illusions vs the machinations.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Obama is not African-American as we have traditionally understood it. Jesse Jackson even pointed this out early on and was quickly hushed. On his Mothers side he is descended from the same largely British stock as most every other president has been, while on his father side he is North African Arab. From the same continent, but not the same stock as equatoral Africans seized as slaves. If you want to get picky, its like the difference between an Anglo-Saxon and an Italian.

As the history of slavery is held out as the root of African American disadvantage in this country, he simply cannot claim that legacy.In fact, between his Mothers slave owning ancestors and his Fathers slave trading ancestors, he has no claim whatsoever to any victimhood or discrimination, depsite having adopted an African-American identity to advance his political career via Acorn etc. He was raised by his white working class grandparents. Not ideal, ie the missing parents, but not horrible.

As to the importance of his election? It is is noteworthy that a 1/2 term Senator from the political sewer that is Chicago, who has little or no voting record was just sworn in as president. Its also noteworthy that the press has completly abdicated their resposibility as the 4th estate and joined the Obama campaign, failing to ask even the most obvious questions about his experience, personal finances, the list goes on. Their need to make history as well as take some credit (and profit) from it, on top of their usual leftist bias, was simply appalling.

As someone who believes in the goodness of America and a truly colorblind society, the racial factor is not as historic or surprising as some seem to want to make it.

As to Gnatsworth Stillborn Jrs comments on Bush's intelligence, that is just getting old. Just because someone doesnt hew to received elitist left wing group think, doesnt make them less intelligent. History will be the judge on Bush policies, particularly if Obama succeeds in undoing some of the ones most crucial to our safety.

As Kav pointed out, there are so many accomplished African-Americans, not to mention just plain folks, who dont get much recognition from the media. And Hollywood seems to only employ African-Americans, still in 2009!, in stereotypical roles. How enlightened of them.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Since it was Obama that selected the new Chairman of the Democratic Party he was in full force and effect the leader of the party. Don't get bogged down in the titles for actual leadership of either party. Thus The Republicans are making a childish "Me Too!" statement.
While I do not know yet what advantage a black leadership image in the Republican party might offer, I do know that not much has changed with blacks in lesser positions.

Thus we do not have a First of any sort. It is just another political game that everyone is supposed to take at face value and we as good sheep must never ever delve into the reality of the illusions vs the machinations.
The difference is Michael Steele was selected for his dedication and qualifications, not as a token. Tokenism is the province of the democrats and the left.
I'm not saying Obama is a token, its doesnt really apply in a presidential race, but he did run a race based campaign, as did his media supporters.
The Republican record on African Americans is clearly one of superior qualifications exemplified by Powell and Rice, while the Dems philosophy is best described in the Clinton statememt, "a cabinet that looks like America", and the ensuing selection of just enough color and x chromosones to meet a percentage. As if there had never been a minority Secretary prior to 1992.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The historic nature of Mr. Obama's election is the fact that he is a transformational figure who mobilized the next generation to work to change the direction of the country and the world. Being bi-racial was of secondary importance.
Dream on, biz as usual with a left wing bent in DC.
This will either be the 3rd Clinton or 2nd Carter term, and we will be worse for it

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
...or 2nd Carter term, and we will be worse for it
Now THAT would be a national tragedy! :cry:It explains some of the reasons I didn't vote for Obama (I didn't vote for McCain either). Instead of creating a national holiday to celebrate Obama becoming POTUS, we should invest in our schools to make sure our children get well versed in the intracasies of "stagflation"...because that's what I fear we're going to be living under for the next 4-8 years.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
African American ancestry contains a mix of world cultures, which, in that regard, is similar to Hispanic culture. While the dominant ancestry is West African, having East African ancestry does not exclude one from being an African American, especially if one has that ancestry and grew up in America.

The vast majority of African Americans could be considered multi-racial if one were to trace down individual ancestries, but we (almost) all identify with the general culture, even if some of us aren't as stereotypically "black" as mainstream media would have us believe we should be.

My point is that Obama is an African American, married an African American, and is the proud father of two young African American daughters. There is no question in my mind that he is the first African American president, and though he was not necessarily my preferred candidate, I am proud for him.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The Republican record on African Americans is clearly one of superior qualifications exemplified by Powell and Rice,"

This is a good example. Neither were nominated for president. Both were better qualified than Bush.
Another point is that despite black representation in the Republican party, Republicans claim hard work for rewards as their theme but as recent history shows the current theme is to steal anything that is not nailed down...but do so while the government is is forbidden from policing these activities. (You don't really think the current soc called crisis just happened by accident. Neither do I.)

Ultimately nothing has changed in the Republican Party.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.