Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The CEGO shirts I ordered 4 weeks ago finally arrived. This is one of Carl's few attempts at the club collar. He recommended pinpoint oxford rather than oxford because club collar = dressy. I also ordered a pink OCBD. Unlined collars, unlined cuffs, center box pleats, tapered slim fit because that's the way I like it. I'm more than satisfied. $110, perfect fit.

collar stays: i doubt i'll use them ( i like mine pinned):

Black Fleece club collar is a bit different:

Interesting, huh?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Be interesting to see them on, with ties and pins, but between you and me, I like the black fleece collar better. Something about the spread, I think. CEGO collar points seem too long? Not sure.

JB

EDIT: Beautiful shirts all 'round, I should have said.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Let me first say that the CEGO pink OCBD looks awesom. I really like the length and roll of the collar.

I would also like to see pictures of the club collars on. My guess is that the CEGO will look good once the collar stays are taken out and the collar is spread by your neck and a tie. In the picture of the BB, it almost looks a little too "peter pan" collar ( ) but that could just be the angle.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What is this sort of placket front called? I've never seen one that ends like this. It is sort of like a long pop-over. Is there a special reason to have the placket like this? Does it make the tuck more comfortable?

Very nice shirt. These two club collars and today's picture on Will's blog suggest that I need to get more club collar shirts.
(I'm not on a first name basis with Will, but don't actually know his surname!)

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
in person fitting of course. not sure if you can just submit a size. sounds like a waste of money. why pay 110 for an off the rack shirt?

pinned and tied:

pinned in the middle:

pinned toward the bottom:

Black fleece shirt pinned:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Be interesting to see them on, with ties and pins, but between you and me, I like the black fleece collar better. Something about the spread, I think. CEGO collar points seem too long? Not sure.

JB

EDIT: Beautiful shirts all 'round, I should have said.
I agree. The OP's acquisitions are nice, but I prefer BB's club collar for the same reason mention by Joe.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Comparing even the best that BB has to offer to Carl Goldberg's handiwork is a rank insult and in another time would've landed you on the wrong end of a duel. Carl is a shirt master -- Brooks is a few ticks upwind of the $5.99 flame-retardant Batman costumes sold at drugstores for Halloween.

I'm wearing CEGO as I type this and I can't imagine feeling as good about a garment that came from some low-end sweatshop in the rural South. Insincere apologies to those of you who sing along to "Beer For My Horses" etc.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Comparing even the best that BB has to offer to Carl Goldberg's handiwork is a rank insult and in another time would've landed you on the wrong end of a duel. Carl is a shirt master -- Brooks is a few ticks upwind of the $5.99 flame-retardant Batman costumes sold at drugstores for Halloween.

I'm wearing CEGO as I type this and I can't imagine feeling as good about a garment that came from some low-end sweatshop in the rural South. Insincere apologies to those of you who sing along to "Beer For My Horses" etc.
What is up your ass tonight?

I like the BB collar better. That's what I said. I made no other commentary about the quality of the shirts, the craftsmanship, the price, the sizing. I said I liked the BB collar better. I like the spread, and the shorter points.

No need to be insulting.

JB

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
What is this sort of placket front called? I've never seen one ends like this. It is sort of like a long pop-over. Is there a special reason to have the placket like this? Does it make the tuck more comfortable?
This nod to tradition really set me back on my heels. In Victorian times, a shirt that came all the way open in the front (coat style) was considered strictly sporting attire. Such shirts had a soft, attached collar as well.

One wonders if Brooks started calling their sport shirts "Tennis", "Golf", "Polo" etc. back then-- I'd lay odds that's when the shirts were given these names.
We've been down this road before, but BB catalogs from before the 1950's did not sell OCBDs as dress shirts, nor even make much mention of them.

I'd do just about anything to afford shirts like those "tilt" depicts here.

·
Registered
238 Posts
This nod to tradition really set me back on my heels. In Victorian times, a shirt that came all the way open in the front (coat style) was considered strictly sporting attire. Such shirts had a soft, attached collar as well.
Very interesting. Thanks for the explanation dpihl.

I'd do just about anything to afford shirts like those "tilt" depicts here.
Hear, hear. They look particularly smashing in the pinned combinations he has presented.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Well done. I think both shirts look very good.

Personally, I like the higher collar of the CEGO, but that could be because I have a long neck. I would wear it pinned high and let the blades spread a bit at the bottom. I wish I lived closer to NYC to use Carl's services.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I like both shirts. Comparisons of Carl's club collar and the BB club collar are purely subjective - I think we can all agree on that. I also agree with TB that Carl's OCBD collar looks phenomenal - great roll. I believe Manton posted about some of Carl's OCBDs a few months back; those were impressive, too.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
CEGO makes nice shirts, but so does Brooks Brothers. One does not have to disparage one to appreciate the other.

Besides, expecting a $50 off-the-rack shirt to be equivalent in fit and/or quality to a $100+ custom-made shirt would be rather pointless. Apples and oranges.

·
1,767 Posts
What is up your ass tonight?

I like the BB collar better. That's what I said. I made no other commentary about the quality of the shirts, the craftsmanship, the price, the sizing. I said I liked the BB collar better. I like the spread, and the shorter points.

No need to be insulting.

JB
I agree with you, Joe. BB spread and length seem a lot better. The BB length and spread are perfect for a club collar. The club collar itself makes a nice understated statement. The pin looks like a bridge too far.

Pink OCBD does have a nice roll.

Also, Joe, I agree with you on the obtuse putdown that you got as being uncalled for.

It was probably an excuse to use the line about the Bat Man Haloween costumes that sounded a lot funnier after a couple of drinks than it looked in print the next day.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Let's all lighten up. I do not think that the Fop's rant was meant to be taken personally. I offered a comparison of the collars and did not take it personally. It was certainly more entertaining than many of the blanket declarations that are offered by others. Maybe I lived in a college fraternity house too long.

edit - it is good to hear from Intrepid whatever the circumstance.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Tilt - nice shirts! Carl - great work!

The Pink OCBD looks PERFECT. Nice hefty looking fabric and long collar points with a nice roll. I'd love to see a photo with that shirt on.

I am not a fan of or knowledgeable about club collars, but I like the CEGO one because of the length. It allows the collar to be pinned, but not look too short. To me, the BB collar looks too short and pulled up when pinned. I also have a long neck and am probably biased towards longer collars.

BB shirt on hanger does look Peter Pan. (my daughter's school uni shirt has that type of collar).

·
Registered
582 Posts
Great shirts, Tilt. Always nice to see another club collar option.

For what it's worth, I have clubs in both the Black Fleece and Select versions from Brooks. The BF version has sorter points than the Select. For my money, the BF is just a bit too short. I think the Select version nails it.

HL

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
The CEGO shirts I ordered 4 weeks ago finally arrived. This is one of Carl's few attempts at the club collar. He recommended pinpoint oxford rather than oxford because club collar = dressy. I also ordered a pink OCBD. Unlined collars, unlined cuffs, center box pleats, tapered slim fit because that's the way I like it. I'm more than satisfied. $110, perfect fit.

collar stays: i doubt i'll use them ( i like mine pinned):

Black Fleece club collar is a bit different:

Interesting, huh?
Nice.

What's the length of the OCBD collar?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.