Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm looking at the available suits at Target.com (I know, I know. Please don't start with me.) ;)

Anyway, this number in black worsted wool caught my eye:

But check out the advertisement! It states "The Suit" sells for between $49.99 and $99.99. However, if you read further down, the jacket and trousers of the Suit sell for those prices, and are sold separately.

In other words, this suit actually costs $149.98, not the price as stated in the ad.

Gentlemen, I believe this is false advertising. Who's with me?

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Gentlemen, I believe this is false advertising.
No, it isn't false advertising. I've seen other ads for separates shown this way. The cheapest item is the lowest price while the most expensive is the higher price. It would only be false advertising if the actual prices were not in the ad. Perhaps a little misleading, but the truth is clearly there in the ad. No big deal.

Cruiser

·
Registered
75 Posts
No, it isn't false advertising. I've seen other ads for separates shown this way. The cheapest item is the lowest price while the most expensive is the higher price. It would only be false advertising if the actual prices were not in the ad. Perhaps a little misleading, but the truth is clearly there in the ad. No big deal.

Cruiser
I've got to agree here. It is perhaps ambiguous advertising, but is arguably still truthful (both prices are shown).

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got to agree here. It is perhaps ambiguous advertising, but is arguably still truthful (both prices are shown).
True. But wouldn't a "reasonable man" think that per the ad, the entire suit may be purchased for that price range? That's the basis of my point.

--Chase

·
Registered
75 Posts
True. But wouldn't a "reasonable man" think that per the ad, the entire suit may be purchased for that price range? That's the basis of my point.

--Chase
"Reasonable man" is too subjective. Target can argue that they think a "reasonable man" would read the entire ad.

Again, it's a bit dubious, and I don't like it, but as your thread title states, caveat emptor.

·
Registered
499 Posts
It's clearly listed on the bottom that each is a separate item, I don't see how anyone could go through the purchase process under the assumption they were getting a complete suit for either of those prices separately.

A little misleading, but not worth starting a class action lawsuit.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts

Cruiser
Perhaps it isn't false advertising. It is certainly not ambiguous...it gets real specific towards the end. It is absolutely misleading and clearly deceptive. The good news is, your dissatisfaction with the advertising approach could be saving you from a sad, sad sartorial misstep! ;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
October 6, 2008

Mr. Robert J. Ulrich
Chief Executive Officer
Target Stores Incorporated
1000 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN 55403-2467

Dear Mr. Ulrich:

The attached advertisement on Target.com states that the Merona Premium Wool Suit - Black can be purchased for between $49.99 and $99.99.

However, per Target.com Guest Services, the only way to purchase the suit is to purchase the Suit Pants and Suit Jacket separately. As the pants cost $49.99 and the jacket cost $99.99, the actual price of the complete suit is $149.98, not the $49.99 to $99.99 price range as advertised.

Per the advertisement mentioned in the first paragraph, a reasonable person would expect to get the complete suit for the price mentioned in the ad. The advertisement does not state 'suit separates' (or something similar) at that range price.

Please advise.

Sincerely,

Chase A. Hamilton

---------------------

[received today via E-Mail]

Mr. Hamilton,

Hello from Target.com.

My name is Darin Craven with Target.com's Executive Guest Relations group. I have been asked to respond to your message on behalf of Mr. Ulrich.

I'm sorry for any frustration you experienced with the way this product was listed online. Our goal is to make finding and buying items from our website as convenient as possible. In this case it appears we have let you down.

I can confirm the website has been updated to make this more clear to all of our guest by separating the individual products and adding the word "Separates" when we describe multiple items under the same listing. I hope you find this solution acceptable, and please let us know if you feel we can do more to make it even more clear.

We're always looking for ways to make your experience with Target.com the best possible and your comments are a big help. We are forwarding a $15 Gift Card to you with our compliments.

Thanks for getting in touch and giving us the chance to resolve this situation for you. Please feel free to contact me directly at [email protected] if I may be of further assistance.

Best regards,

Darin Craven

Target.com Guest Service
https://www.target.com

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Gentlemen, I believe this is false advertising. Who's with me?
False, no - misleading, perhaps.

I can definitely see how an initial look would lead you to think that some varieties of the SUIT are available for $49.98, and others are $99.98.

Neiman-Marcus is actually worse about this. They'll show an outfit in a picture, and the caption will read "$12.00 - $1,249.00," the $12.00 being for the socks...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The page I get following your link says

Merona® Premium Wool Suit Separates - Black

$49.99 - $99.99

So, no not misleading as it says that the ad is for SEPARATES
Please read the entire thread, sir. As I posted mid-way through, that advertisement was changed after I wrote a letter of complaint to the CEO of Target. (It's post #10 in this thread.) :p

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
?? if you read the thread, you'd see that the word separates was added in response to the complaint above.
Thank you, cpac. Sometimes there's God so quickly.

--Chase

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.