Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
7,063 Posts
All wool and cashmere sweaters will pill to some degree, so it's not necessarily a sign of a cheap garment. There are many products on the market that can address this issue. Proper care, including brushing after each wear and proper storage are key for getting the longest life. When needed, hand washing using a detergent specifically formulated for wool and cashmere is suggested.

BSR is right, there is cashmere and then there's cashmere. I have a Pringle cashmere sweater that is >40 years old which looks and feels new. Cashmere gets a bad rap regarding it's durability; "cashmere is delicate" is the common refrain. BS! Cheap cashmere is delicate. Well made cashmere is durable and can last for years if properly cared for.

At the price point indicated, J Crew is another option.
Agree with all of this. My oldest cashmere sweaters are also those of the highest quality. I have a couple PRL cable-knit cashmere sweaters from the early 90s that, even after multiple wearings, could pass for last season. Yes, proper care post-wearing will certainly prolong the lives of these garments.

· Premium Member
7,063 Posts
I was able to thrift two sweaters today from Inis Meain. One is cashmere and the other is baby alpaca. This is what I would call "good cashmere." If you get a chance to get hold of one of these, I can highly recommend them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.