Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Try shrinking it

Votes: 2 9.1%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been given a cashmere sweater and it is one size big and big enough, not to fit well. It is not an expensive sweater.

I have put the opinions in my preferred order and the last thing I want to do is try shrinking it. In the past, one of my sweaters shrunk and know that they do not shrink the same all-the-round, it shrunk more in the body then the arms.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I handwash my 5 cashmere sweaters and none have ever shrunk a bit - unless it has to be extremely hot water.

I will probably just wear it around the house, when it cold. It is a fuchsia-colour and goes well with my camel coat, for the country too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think you should give it away. You will feel good for doing so. If you wear it around the house you will constantly be reminded that you wished it fit properly so you could wear it elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Sell it on ebay, use the money you get towards one that fits - or better find out where it was purchased and return it for a correct one. Thats not an insult to the giver, they want you to have a cashmere sweater not an ill-fitting cashmere sweater.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
It's been my experience, if an item doesn't fit properly, it just does not get worn. Return the sweater for one that fits properly or give it away. Otherwise, it will just be taking up space in your closet!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
If someone gives you a gift like that they would want it to fit. why not tell them that you really love it but it is too big and could they get it one size smaller and send it to you. otherwise as has been stated, you won't wear it much and wind up sitting on the shelf in your closet and eaten by moths. If you won't tell the person then give it to someone that could use it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The person who gave me the gift purchased it in Denmark, where they live. They are still here on a family visit but I would prefer not to tell them about the size.
While I totally understand about not wanting to be a wet blanket when this was obviously a thoughtful gift, if you don't take some corrective action I fear you may be the recipient of other ill-fitting clothing down the line. Take it from me - in high school in small town Pennsylvania, I wore XL shirts because that was the only way I could get long enough sleeves. I still occasionally receive XL (when in reality I wear a M) items from my family.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have been wondering whether anyone has ever tried a knitwear alterations service. The first two that came out of my web search:
https://www.knitweardoctor.com/
https://www.knitalteration.com/

From what I gather, for a course knit sweater (such as cashmere yarn), the cost to reduce the body with is roughly $50, and to reduce the sleeve width, another $50. They can also shorten sleeves and body, though I don't know what this might cost.

Could definitely be worthwhile if the sweater value is several $100.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.