Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last week I bought this beautiful black half coat, 50% cashmere, from Daks. I wanted a nice beige or golden cashmere scarf to go with it, but the thing cost $300, and with the coat purchase it would push the day's expenditure over the $1000 line. I snooped around the department store and settled for one under $100 that's supposed to have some cashmere in it.

I wore the new purchases to work this morning and, upon shrugging out of the coat to hang it, discovered that the coat and the sportcoat underneath were covered with fine golden fibers where they touched the scarf. I spent the next ten minutes plucking off the hair with a large scotch tape wrapped around my hand.

I'm taking the scarf back to the store, of course. But I'll also need a replacement scarf. My question: will a better-quality cashmere scarf not shed hair like this one, upon contact with fuzzy fabrics like wool or cashmere? I've never owned a pure cashmere scarf. I'd hate to spend additional $300 and find out it still rubs off all over the coat.

--An additional question: what fabric do you recommend for a scarf that will not shed?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I don't think I can answer all of your questions, but two years ago as a gift I received a red Joseph & Lyman cashmere scarf. It is (I think) the house brand of Bloomingdale's and was moderately priced. I don't think it has shed a single fiber.

Now whether there is a Bloomie's near you, I have no idea. :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
356 Posts
The ply of cashmere can make a huge difference in the way it sheds. single ply-shorter staple cashmere will shed unbelievably, which is likely what you received for under $100. It is cashmere, but on the lower end of the quality. A longer staple cashmere that is twisted two ply will hold itself together in the yarns better. This will give you the desired end result of less shedding and less use of scotch tape. I would suggest finding someone knowledgeable about the scarves and finding one that uses better yarns.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I got a Ballantyne scarf for £130 from their store on Bond Street in the first wear of January this year and not had a problem with it. I wear it to work and on smart/formal occassions.

In addition, it feels really soft and wish I could justify having more in my collection.

If you cannot find cashmere within your desired budget, there are lots of nice options in wool - well in the UK anyway, Hackett have some nice scarves for £80.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I seem to remember a Colombo cashmere scarf shedding a bit the first few times I wore it, and Colombo is pretty high quality...

-spence
Some of the Colombo will some of them wont it really depends which scarf, but when we talk of Colombo shedding we dont mean spending 10 minutes with scotch tape removing fibers, we mean a tuft here and there.

Same with the Alex Begg's.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have a cheap cashmere scarf from Banana Republic that sheds profusely, all of my others are fine. I wore it Saturday, and later spent too much time removing the residue from my shirt and jacket.

By the way, I don't think Terriers shed, at least not the ones I've had.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Interesting. My cheapy from Banana never sheds.
Yeah, but the discussion is about Cashmere.

:icon_smile_big:

(JOKING)

PS: I think that that difference between single ply vs two ply fibers is more applicable to the "pill factor" than to the "shed factor" and the shedding or better yet tufting is more pronounced on woven cashmeres than on knitted which is why I have never seen any tufts of fibers come off of a cashmere sweater or vest which is knitted yet they exist on woven scarves.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Some of the Colombo will some of them wont it really depends which scarf, but when we talk of Colombo shedding we dont mean spending 10 minutes with scotch tape removing fibers, we mean a tuft here and there.

Same with the Alex Begg's.
True, I have a few and only did shed a bit, enough to notice but not to be a problem. I assumed it was like the few hairs you find on your shirt after a haircut ;)

-spence

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I have an extensive cashmere collection consisting of ....

25 sweaters (1 ply through 3 ply) and about 5 cashmere scarfs. I have one rule: I only buy cashmere from Scotland. I have never had a problem with pilling or shedding. I think Chinese made cashmere has some definite problems. The only time I violated my rule, I bought a couple of JAB cashmere scarves. Both were returned for excessive pilling. If you can't afford cashmere from Scotland, try merino, but stick with Scottish wool. I didn't learn my lesson and purchased a merino sweater from JAB. Same problem: escessive pilling. Made in China of course.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Country of origin is much too general. Chinese weaving technology has improved, immensely; and, you'd be surprised where many of the coveted brands source their production goods.

That said, the number of plies in the yarn and twist has a little to do with shedding. But, that's only part-and-parcel to the yarn finishing, itself.

Now... what we do in industry is subject a sample length of piece goods to testing. If it doesn't meet minimum specifications or tolerances, most manufacturers don't put the goods into production. This is typically weeded during the development process.

But, I don't know what I would suggest for the end consumer with regard to testing before you buy. I honestly don't think there's any way to replicate shed and crocking tests on a household level.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to chrstc for tipping me about a cheap quality Scottish cashmere scarves.

I just ordered a 180cm-long pure cashmere scarf from www.highlandstore.com. The shop apparently specializes in kilts. It only cost me GBP 25.00 plus shipping. I really wish they offered beige tone, though.

I'll let you know what I think of the quality when it reaches me next week. If it turns out to be very good, I'm getting a couple more.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I have two cashmere scarves, one Nordstrom brand, and one Charles Tyrwhitt. Both work great and don't shed. They may have the first wearing, but that's it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.