Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone.

I found this nice price cashmere sport jacket from boss. It looks good to e , but my concern is about the color. What do you think of black for this one and sport jackets in general? I was thinking maybe black is better for coats than jackets, but that was just wondering

thanks for your help

·
Registered
69 Posts
First, traditional sports jackets, unlike this as far as I can tell, always had a pattern, however slight it may have been, for a few reasons; the main likely their sportiness, or need to be distinguished from a suit. The only exception that I know of to the patterned sports jacket is the blazer, which instead has metal buttons. Secondly, they traditionally are colors other than black.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I think it would be a great jacket paired with jeans and a white shirt for Saturday night. Beyond that it probably isn't something I would personally get much use out of. How were you planning on wearing it?

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
My black cashmere sportcoat is a useful wardrobe weapon-of-choice here in Atlanta during the winter.

I wear mine...
- with jeans for easy weekending and traveling.
- with a complementing turtlenecks or sweaters and wool trousers for going out in the evening.
- with a nice crisp dress shirts for parties and date nights, filling the gap between dressed-down and suited-up.

Another benefit for me - in most cases in my own mild climate, such a coat means no outerwear is required.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, traditional sports jackets, unlike this as far as I can tell, always had a pattern, however slight it may have been, for a few reasons; the main likely their sportiness, or need to be distinguished from a suit. The only exception that I know of to the patterned sports jacket is the blazer, which instead has metal buttons. Secondly, they traditionally are colors other than black.
I though that being o cashmere would be a different thing from a suit, I guess is not common to see cashmere suits, that´s why I thought is valid for a sport jacket.

Best regards

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
My black cashmere sportcoat is a useful wardrobe weapon-of-choice here in Atlanta during the winter.

I wear mine...
- with jeans for easy weekending and traveling.
- with a complementing turtlenecks or sweaters and wool trousers for going out in the evening.
- with a nice crisp dress shirts for parties and date nights, filling the gap between dressed-down and suited-up.

Another benefit for me - in most cases in my own mild climate, such a coat means no outerwear is required.
^+1...what he said. I just returned from a three-day business trip with my solid black cashmere jacket in tow. It got paired with POW check trousers, medium grey trousers and jeans (for various functions...including a trip to a jazz club). When paired with a black merino wool sweater, I find I do not need to travel with an overcoat to most climates.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I disagree. My tweed sports jacket and my linen sports jacket are both solid and I do not think they're 'improper' per se.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I wear my black cashmere odd jacket with gray trousers, white shirt and a tie. A very nice semi-formal day look with out the actually being true semi-formal daywear.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
That gives me the idea that this could even be used as a stroller jacket if the need arose, though I doubt that's something the OP or any normal person wants :)
So what's with all the hype about "Normal"?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I recently saw black cashmere jacket on sale for really low price, but decided to pass on it because I could not figure out how would I wear it.

Plus the color was black...I am trying to stay away from black clothes.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I wear one (and I think of it as a blazer) fairly often - almost always with gray or charcoal slacks, though.

I don't view it as business dress, but I will wear it to casual business events. It has a lot of versatility once past (my own) slacks restriction, however ... I tend to wear pastel shirts and sometimes fun ties with it, or occasionally a wine turtleneck.

Come to think of it, though, I also always tend to wear pretty good shoes with it as well. It's such an elegant fabric ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.