Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
507 Posts
Do you mean vinegar based vs tomato? I'm more of a tomato-based BBQ person myself. I had understood carolina bbq to be three branches though: vinegar, tomato and mustard. It looks like you're from there (Carolina) whilst I'm in Georgia....

as far as restaurants, my best so far in ATL is Daddy D's on Memorial, but I have yet to make a pilgrimage to Harold's.

I did have some good vinegar bbq in NC when I flew through Kitty Hawk with a friend (in 2002; it was just N of the little airport with the blimp hanger rusting into oblivion).

· Registered
431 Posts
Maurice's in Columbia does a good mustard based BBQ, though a lot of people object to Maurice's politics. (As a relocated Northerner, I didn't know much about the place until I did a little research later). There is a place in Pawleys Island called Hog Heaven, that does the best BBQ I've had. It's Eastern style, but more smokey than vinegary. They offer all 3 sauces, but I like it plain. They also leave it fairly "stringy" (though that may not be the best way to describe it.) They don't chop it up very much, which I like. Based on the other places I've eaten- in Columbia, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, and Spartanburg- Hog Heaven seems like a very different approach, maybe thats why I like it so much.

· Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you mean vinegar based vs tomato? I'm more of a tomato-based BBQ person myself. I had understood carolina bbq to be three branches though: vinegar, tomato and mustard. It looks like you're from there (Carolina) whilst I'm in Georgia....

as far as restaurants, my best so far in ATL is Daddy D's on Memorial, but I have yet to make a pilgrimage to Harold's.

I did have some good vinegar bbq in NC when I flew through Kitty Hawk with a friend (in 2002; it was just N of the little airport with the blimp hanger rusting into oblivion).
Well,where I live,mustard based is unpopular,and I alway's forget to metion it.

· Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maurice's in Columbia does a good mustard based BBQ, though a lot of people object to Maurice's politics. (As a relocated Northerner, I didn't know much about the place until I did a little research later). There is a place in Pawleys Island called Hog Heaven, that does the best BBQ I've had. It's Eastern style, but more smokey than vinegary. They offer all 3 sauces, but I like it plain. They also leave it fairly "stringy" (though that may not be the best way to describe it.) They don't chop it up very much, which I like. Based on the other places I've eaten- in Columbia, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, and Spartanburg- Hog Heaven seems like a very different approach, maybe thats why I like it so much.
By Spartanburg I assume you mean The Beacon?

· Registered
2,722 Posts
Both East and West

At my wedding in May, we had 20lbs of Eastern NC "Q" brought from Bees near Greenville and I went to Lexington #1 to get four shoulders from them. Both were excellent! We did NOT allow a local caterer to provide the "Q" because we knew our guests fully understood what NC Barbeque really is-- and would have been insulted had we not had the real thing. A good time was had by all.

Tom

· Registered
1,346 Posts
Here outside Memphis, you mostly see the honey/molasses based sauces that we are known for. There are some exceptions though. Central BBQ in Midtown offers a choice of mild(sweet), hot, mustard, or vinegar so you can try all different styles. The Rib Cage in Oxford uses a light, but slightly sweet, vinegar based sauce that the owner describes as "carolina inspired." The trick to great BBQ has nothing to do with sauce, but with the level of smoke flavor and the quality of the wood being used.

· Registered
1,937 Posts
BBQ

I enjoy Eastern, and actually do my own smoked pork.
Best place I ever had, was this shack of a BBQ just outside Ft Bragg, NC.
An out of the way place, no one knows about.

The best, are these side road secrets!!

Nice day

· Registered
1,937 Posts
Memphis/Bubbas

Gentlemen

We are talking Carolina BBQ. Bubbas you do not want.
I have my own recipe , that is a vinegar base.I get a lot of requests from people to cook.
I truly think smoking the pork is what makes it so tender.
I dont mind giving it a few hours. Gives me a chance to drink a case of beer, and some Glenlivet as well.
That, is what Carolina BBQ is about

Nice day

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Gentlemen

My friends, this is fine dining for any wedding. And it is very cheap as well.

Nice day
Though I think we've had this discussion already, it is well worth repeating! I attended a wedding in Winston-Salem last October and was introduced to the western-NC style. The buffet-style rehearsal dinner was open to all wedding guests, which was much appreciated since almost everyone travelled a great distance. The pulled pork was the finest I had ever encountered, including that of South Philadelphia. Bill

· Registered
1,937 Posts
Allen and sons!!

My friend

Great BBQ, I am a fan of that place in Durham. That every one frequents there. And am blanking.
Chapel Hill is my old stomping ground. First time there was in 1973 era. I feel in love. There was a mens shop, right next to Spankeys, called Nowells. Now I think it is Alexander Julian.
I think, had a lot of nice clothes.
I miss that place my friend.
That whole area.

Nice day

· Registered
165 Posts
Maurice's in Columbia does a good mustard based BBQ, though a lot of people object to Maurice's politics.
I was just there last month as I was passing through Columbia on my way back from a wedding in Charleston.

I lived in Columbia as a child and grew up on BBQ from Piggy Park. I hadn't been there in quite some time and didn't know that Maurice had changed the name of "Piggy Park" to "Maurice's".

Growing up on mustard based BBQ, that's what I prefer, and I actually made some on Saturday for the FSU/Miami game.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.