Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gentlemen,
I just spoke with a representative from Skoatiebolaget, and it looks like they will no longer be carrying Carmina shoes. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase Carminas at a reduced price other than their own website? Skoatie had some of the better deals.

thank you

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
Hi gentlemen,
I just spoke with a representative from Skoatiebolaget, and it looks like they will no longer be carrying Carmina shoes. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase Carminas at a reduced price other than their own website? Skoatie had some of the better deals.

thank you
Why don't you consider buying from Gentlemen's Footwear in San Diego?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I don't own any Carmina but it seems to me the initial appeal was the value. A well made shoe for ~$350. But now they seem to be hovering around ~$500.

Are they still a good deal at that price?
Personally, no. I'd rather buy Cheaney or other English makers at $350-$400. I'm not discerning enough that the extra $100+ is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
"Skoaktiebolaget."

Does anyone else find that name cumbersome? Why can't the company be called "Sven's Shoes," or "Shoe Bonanza," or "Shoe Circus"? A name that doesn't look so intimidating when it is mentioned in the title of a clothing forum thread?

Yes, the company may be Swedish, but like any responsible foreign company, its primary obligation should be to make things easy for Americans. Give us a name that is short and catchy.

"Skoaktiebolaget." Too unwieldy.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
"Skoaktiebolaget."

Does anyone else find that name cumbersome? Why can't the company be called "Sven's Shoes," or "Shoe Bonanza," or "Shoe Circus"? A name that doesn't look so intimidating when it is mentioned in the title of a clothing forum thread?

Yes, the company may be Swedish, but like any responsible foreign company, its primary obligation should be to make things easy for Americans. Give us a name that is short and catchy.

Sven's Boots?

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Well... "sko" means "shoe" and "aktiebolaget" means that it is a publicly traded company... quite easy to understand and spell :D

It also means that the abbreviated name "skoak" is meaningless, but easier to pronounce and spell...
Very interesting, and now the name makes sense. As does the reason Scandinavian corporations use the suffix Ab.
I've been saying it wrong all these years! It's pronounced Sko-Aktiebolaget, not Skoak-tiebolaget.

So in English it would be named Shoeco.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Well... "sko" means "shoe" and "aktiebolaget" means that it is a publicly traded company... quite easy to understand and spell :D

It also means that the abbreviated name "skoak" is meaningless, but easier to pronounce and spell...
Very interesting, and now the name makes sense. As does the reason Scandinavian corporations use the suffix Ab.
I've been saying it wrong all these years! It's pronounced Sko-Aktiebolaget, not Skoak-tiebolaget.

So in English it would be named Shoeco.
Thank you for this. As a one time owner of an American S-Corp, this piqued my interest as I was surprised that a shoe retailer would be a publicly traded company.

A bit of research suggests it may not be, because while "aktiebolaget" most certainly is the Swedish form for a corporation, it may be either private or publicly traded. And only when the Ab suffix is used, can it be sure to be publicly traded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aktiebolag

·
Registered
777 Posts
"Skoaktiebolaget."

My ignorant American take on anything Scandinavian is that since they mostly all speak English, they should just cater to English speakers anyway. :D

I kid, I kid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.