Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i recently bought a pair of oxfords from church's, and have worn them only two times, but the soles already look in bad shape! or are they? i don't really know how they're supposed to look like..
are there any steps i could take to protect the soles of my shoes? do leather soles have to be treated differently from rubber ones? and how much and how long does resoling by church's take?

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Good grief where do you walk??They look like that after two wearings?My soles look like that after about 10-12 wearings.As for care,just don't walk on wet surfaces and avoid grass whenever possible,oh,and use edge dressing as necessary.If you want to extend sole life,get toe and heel taps or have your cobbler attach Topy's (I don't do it,but that's purely for aesthetic reasons).

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Ouch! Never wear leather-soled shoes in the wet for the first few wearings. Once the leather has picked up some grit and dust, and this has become firmly embedded, the soles will become more resistant. Even so, leather soles wear out faster when wet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
would a resoling bring it back to its original condition? i was thinking that since it's already in such a bad state, it isn't going to do much good getting installing topys (i hear so much about it, but what is it, where can i get it, and how do i attach it?); i was going to just let the soles wear out naturally, get a resoling, and then use some device for the protection of the soles. is that a bad plan?

·
Registered
108 Posts
it isn't going to do much good getting installing topys (i hear so much about it, but what is it, where can i get it, and how do i attach it?)
Topy is a brand of sole guards or sole protectors from France. The other leading brand is Vibram from Italy. They are essentially thin sheets of rubber attached to the soles of your shoes thereby protecting the leather and decreasing slippage. If applied properly, they will be virtually unnoticeable. Any cobbler should have it and will be able to attach it for you.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Good grief where do you walk??They look like that after two wearings?My soles look like that after about 10-12 wearings.As for care,just don't walk on wet surfaces and avoid grass whenever possible,oh,and use edge dressing as necessary.If you want to extend sole life,get toe and heel taps or have your cobbler attach Topy's (I don't do it,but that's purely for aesthetic reasons).
Just make sure they aren't metal.. :devil:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Don't panic!

Firstly please stop worrying about this. You have worn them in the wet, that is obvious and as others have said this is not advisable for the first two to three wearings - during this time the leather will harden and bed down and as Rich has said grit will embed and make the leather hard wearing.

However, let me assure you as a shoe fan that ALL makes of shoes with leather soles look like that after wearing from new in the wet - I've done it more that I should have! In England wet is hard to avoid!

Please do not get them resoled yet - they are perfectly fine and another couple of wears in dry weather ( don't wear them again in wet until you've done this) will smooth them off. However you've by no means damaged them to any great extent.

You can only resole welted shoes so many times and you don't want to do it therefore until you need to. But yes Church's will do this for you - £85.00

Whether you have stick on soles glued on is up to you - if your feet get hot I would not - my experience is that stick on soles make feet hotter - others vehmently disagree with me - but at least I know Dean Girling agrees with me :icon_smile:

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
I don't know if it's just a British thing, but when I lived in the UK whenever you bought a pair of leather soled shoes the first thing you did was take them to a cobbler and get thin rubber soles and heels put on them. And nearly everyone did that. It was common practice and common sense.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Dont look like there is anything wrong with those soles. Englands streets are dirty and you will pick up all manner of things on the soles. Looks like lots of little stones have made indentation in the soles and they certainly look a bit dirty but nothing major to worry about it seems.
It is only the bottom of your shoes after all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.