Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well here’s my first post. I purchased a Canali Milano 19000 series suit with notch lapels from Harry Rosen’s online store but haven’t tried it on yet as I’m traveling. It was a great deal at $1000CAD so if the fit is right, I’ll look sharp for my wedding in July. I also have my eye on a Canali 14620 series with peak lapels for $759US. I’m more partial to the peak lapel suit as it looks more formal and it has a nice looking pattern on cloth but I’m not sure of the cut compared to the 19000 (which I believe is a slim fit). If I’m 5’11 and 175lbs with a medium athletic build, which will be the better fit between the two? I’m a 40r in brands like Hugo Boss and Ferrragamo. Also, any thoughts on the best choice for a waistcoat (ie contrasting grey) as neither is a 3 piece so the idea of matching one perfectly is out? I did pick up a great pair of Albert Thurston braces to go with it too.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
First off congrats.

Personally, I don’t care for the 2nd suit. The pattern of the fabric is a bit much. The first is much nicer.

If you ask me, and perhaps you’re not but I’ll say it anyway, forget the waistcoat and braces. Too many bells and whistles. A white shirt, silver wedding tie and a white linen or cotton pocket square and you’re good. You’ll have no regrets looking back 20 years later and wondering why you tried to force an outfit like that.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Even if you want the brace, you probably should go with white ones with the white shirt. However, if the trousers have belt loops, it is wise not to go with braces with belt loops, or just remove the loops all-together.

The pattern on the second suit is good at fun activity, but it is not very good for your own wedding.

One last thing, since you are in the 40R with 5'11" built, and this jacket comes at 29" for 40R, you should pay attention to whether this jacket will look short on you. It will probably be ok but it is something to check first.

And congratulation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even if you want the brace, you probably should go with white ones with the white shirt. However, if the trousers have belt loops, it is wise not to go with braces with belt loops, or just remove the loops all-together.

The pattern on the second suit is good at fun activity, but it is not very good for your own wedding.

One last thing, since you are in the 40R with 5'11" built, and this jacket comes at 29" for 40R, you should pay attention to whether this jacket will look short on you. It will probably be ok but it is something to check first.

And congratulation.
Thanks mate. As I'm Canadian and my fiancée is is from the UK, I opted to make the braces the fun part of my attire by paying tribute to her English side of the family with the special edition London Skyline braces which would show when we are on the dance floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
My biggest concern is the length. I suspect 29 inches is about 1 1/2 inches too short. That's alright - thirty years from now you can look at the pictures and say something like - "can you believe how short that jacket was?" Kind of like looking at the mid 70s and wondering how wide can a lapel actually be?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My biggest concern is the length. I suspect 29 inches is about 1 1/2 inches too short. That's alright - thirty years from now you can look at the pictures and say something like - "can you believe how short that jacket was?" Kind of like looking at the mid 70s and wondering how wide can a lapel actually be?
I'll keep that in mind. Seems the Canali 1934 14000 series is 29.75. Is the 14000 still slim fit? Your thoughts on the braces?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I'll keep that in mind. Seems the Canali 1934 14000 series is 29.75. Is the 14000 still slim fit? Your thoughts on the braces?
I like braces - I never wear them except with my tuxedo but I like them! Indeed, I have a few pairs of trousers with side tabs and I need to get around to getting buttons for braces sewn in. The tabs are decent for holding the trousers but not as good as a belt. And for dancing braces are wonderful - they will keep your trousers up.

Don't know anything about the 14000. And it's hard to go wrong with Canali. I only have maybe one piece at present but they make a very nice garment at a decent price point.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I like braces - I never wear them except with my tuxedo but I like them! Indeed, I have a few pairs of trousers with side tabs and I need to get around to getting buttons for braces sewn in. The tabs are decent for holding the trousers but not as good as a belt. And for dancing braces are wonderful - they will keep your trousers up.

Don't know anything about the 14000. And it's hard to go wrong with Canali. I only have maybe one piece at present but they make a very nice garment at a decent price point.
Congratulations.
I agree with SG_67

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.