Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear esteemed gentlemen,

I have been keep learning, buying, and making weekly visit to my tailor for the last two months, since I realized that I am in my mid 40's and decided to dress better.

My first "navy blazer" turned out to be a mistake. It is pinstriped and smooth fabric. Now I learned that it probably was really an orphaned suit jacket that looks like an orphaned suit jacket.

But I can't figure out if this "gray plaid non-vented blazer" is really a blazer or another orphaned suit jacket that looks like an orphaned suit jacket. Would you please tell me? And if I can improve it with different buttons? I also found it was very difficult to match with pants. All my pants are dark grey, brown and navy. Somehow all of them looked too similar with the jacket which actually is mix of gray and navy color. I ended up borrowing light gray pants from one of my suits this morning to take the photo. I bought a size smaller because my diet has been working for the last few weeks. I know it's still tight but I think it will fit me in a few weeks when it is done with my tailor. I already have other jackets and suits with my proper size.

The jacket really looks more blue than gray. The photo's color is about right.

Thank you in advance.

Jersey Sleeve Hood Grey Sportswear
Dress shirt Street fashion Sleeve Textile Waist

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
It’s an orphaned suit jacket. The pattern in the fabric gives it away. From afar it looks like a solid, but get close enough and the patter, though subtle, comes through.

Sometimes this can be gotten away with. In this case I don’t think so.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I guess it was another learning experience. I somehow felt odd even though this is not pinstriped. My next "blazer" purchase will be a decent new blazer that is designed and marketed as such.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Just get a solid navy blue blazer; you’ll never have to worry if it’s appropriate.

Sport coats with vertical striping can look good, provided they are clearly not orphaned suit jackets—in other words, tweed jackets with obvious texture. Ben Silver had a couple beautiful versions of such a jacket last season.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Charles Dana, now I figured that most of "blazers" and "sportcoats" on Bay are really just orphaned suit jackets. I am waiting for a half canvassed "reserve collection" navy blazer I bought on Jos A Bank clearance for $100. But Ben Silver looks great and I am sure it will be a better investment. Since now I have bought too many cheap or used suits and separates, I may step up from my next purchase.

delicious_scent, it's a full canvassed Hickey Freeman jacket in mint condition. It's comfortable and fits me as if it was made for my body when it had 10 pounds less, in all areas including my short arms. I wish it was a solid navy. Maybe I will use it occasionally until I get an equal quality genuine blazer? Very few I meet wear suit jackets and they all have too long sleeves. Hopefully they won't know.

·
Read Only
2,318 Posts
Charles Dana, now I figured that most of "blazers" and "sportcoats" on Bay are really just orphaned suit jackets. I am waiting for a half canvassed "reserve collection" navy blazer I bought on Jos A Bank clearance for $100. But Ben Silver looks great and I am sure it will be a better investment. Since now I have bought too many cheap or used suits and separates, I may step up from my next purchase.

delicious_scent, it's a full canvassed Hickey Freeman jacket in mint condition. It's comfortable and fits me as if it was made for my body when it had 10 pounds less, in all areas including my short arms. I wish it was a solid navy. Maybe I will use it occasionally until I get an equal quality genuine blazer? Very few I meet wear suit jackets and they all have too long sleeves. Hopefully they won't know.
Sure, I'd do that myself in your position.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Though an orphan, it looks fine...other than those who enjoy picking nits on sites like this, nobody is going to notice. Wear it in good health.
I agree. Although the jacket in question isn't the best choice, the OP can get away with it as a sport coat because the pattern doesn't jump out at you. The OP can pretend he's that guy in the airplane in the Esquire thread elsewhere in this forum. In July 1936, Esquire suggested that, in order to pack light, the man of style could travel with a suit and odd trousers and, once at the resort, wear the jacket but switch out the matching trousers for the odd ones. Good enough for Esquire in 1936; good enough for the OP now.

Now all he has to do is charter a private jet to Palm Beach.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Totally agree-99.9% of the population won't notice and the chances of meeting somebody in person from this site (the .1%) are likely next to nil. Wear it in good health.
Since when does anyone on this forum dress for the population? Those who dress for other people follow what is in GQ. We dress for ourselves! I always aim to please myself with my clothes because pleasing 99.9% of the population isn't a very high standard to dress to. If the OP thinks the suit jacket is okay to wear as an odd jacket, that's fine because he only has to please himself.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
[T]he chances of meeting somebody in person from this site (the .1%) are likely next to nil.
Don't be too sure. At this very moment a SWAT team composed of registered members of this forum is assembling just down the street from the OP's house. They're dressed in their heaviest armor: Harris tweed sport coats (in the regulation 3-roll-2) and flannel trousers (the good kind from O'Connell's). The OP's front door is just minutes away from being busted open and the contents of his closet critically examined.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I love the humorous responses! It's either this or a pinstriped navy "blazer" until I receive a proper navy blazer (Jos A. Bank's Reserve Collection on clearance) is received and tailored to match my separate trousers. At least my office door is guarded by my assistant until I change to a proper suit for unannounced client visits.

Three beautiful ladies in parking lot, including two driving by, waived and smiled at me while wearing the jacket and a light grey pants. They were far enough to not notice the subtle texture. I feel great for moving up my office casual from chinos and polo shirts.

·
Registered
777 Posts
You've posted other pics before I believe. You need a new tailor. He/she keeps tailoring your jackets too tight, or he/she keeps failing to let the jackets out a little for you.

While that's definitely an orphaned suit jacket, I don't see why you can't get away with it. Such a small percentage of people would ever notice. Have it let out a bit, then wear the shit out of it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hebrew Barrister, thank you for the advise. The jacket of this thread is a smaller size freshly Bay'ed one without any alteration after the purchase. I was planning to keep it in my closet until I loose a few more pounds.

Suits on my other thread... I wonder if they look too tight due to my posture. I tried one of them again in the morning. It has about 4" room in waist area and doesn't really feel too tight.

Outerwear Dress shirt Mobile phone Sleeve Communication Device
Hand Arm White Dress shirt Neck

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hebrew Barrister, thank you for the advise. The jacket of this thread is a smaller size freshly Bay'ed one without any alteration after the purchase. I was planning to keep it in my closet until I loose a few more pounds.

Suits on my other thread... I wonder if they look too tight due to my posture. I tried one of them again in the morning. It has about 4" room in waist area and doesn't really feel too tight.

View attachment 20978 View attachment 20979
Ok maybe it was just your posture. In the pic you just posted, that jacket fits fine.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Jkang,
I’m going to offer some feedback but please know I’m not intending to hurt your feelings.

From that pic, it looks like your love handles are hanging over the top of the slacks. I think the ride may be a bit short and and the waist a bit tight.

If your intent is to lose some weight, then more power to you and good luck. Perhaps that will solve the issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.