Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can cigarette or cigar smoke stain suede if it makes contact with it? I own a suede jacket and if I smoke while wearing it I'm careful to make sure the ash doesn't get on it, but as for the smoke itself, I'm not sure if it will stain or discolor it. I haven't noticed that happening so far but just being a sensitive material, if smoke can ruin suede overtime I'd like to be aware of that.

·
Registered
27,614 Posts
Can cigarette or cigar smoke stain suede if it makes contact with it? I own a suede jacket and if I smoke while wearing it I'm careful to make sure the ash doesn't get on it, but as for the smoke itself, I'm not sure if it will stain or discolor it. I haven't noticed that happening so far but just being a sensitive material, if smoke can ruin suede overtime I'd like to be aware of that.
As a former long-time smoker, I know that tobacco smoke can and will stain just about anything if it is exposed to it long enough and often enough. But it would take an awful lot over a quite a long period. And I can't quantify it for you, but I can say it will make it smell really bad to any non-smoker very quickly. Suede sucks up aromas.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Agree with Flanderian. You would have to expose the suede to years of smoke for you to notice anything. By that time you will have seen the color change do to general aging and the elements. Just don't burn a hole in it. Air it out a few days between wearings.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
lls.
Old mustard brown gave way to still bright lead enamel underneath.
I decide to just scrub the whole place down.
I woke up eak as a kitten a few days later with nicotine poisoning just getting hte old residue on my hands.
Ever see a photo of The Marlborough man in his last days, dying from emphysema and lung cancer?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
That's rediculous! You should be more worried ....

about what smoking is doing to your body rather than your jacket. Your jacket might smell bad, but it wont get cancer.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
What about your fingers?

Smokers have stained fingers if they smoke a lot. Suede is a skin. One's fingers are covered with skin. Of course smoke from a cigarette or any tobacco product will stain. It's full of tars and solids. Will it be noticeable? Maybe not at first. But rest assured, smoke will stain.

The remedy? Cleaning by a suede expert. How often? That depends on the original color of the suede and the amount of smoke exposure.

I once had the dubious honor of viewing a cadaver of a smoker who also lived in Los Angeles. Lungs the color of that nice charcoal suit everyone thinks one should have. Normally pink. Think about it:(

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Who ate my post?
I had to repaint a WW2 era pilot's ready room in Alaska.
I decided to scrub down the walls, a mustard brown colour first.
I found bright white, lead based enamal underneath.
I also got 50 years of accumulated nicotine residue on my hands,passed out and woke up in the base infirmary with nicotine poisoning.

·
Registered
27,614 Posts
Who ate my post?
I had to repaint a WW2 era pilot's ready room in Alaska.
I decided to scrub down the walls, a mustard brown colour first.
I found bright white, lead based enamal underneath.
I also got 50 years of accumulated nicotine residue on my hands,passed out and woke up in the base infirmary with nicotine poisoning.
That's one heck of a story! :eek:

Ain't the military wonderful? Had me spend an entire day scrubbing spilled paint with pure acetone with no protective gear. (Fortunately, the asbestos I had played with as a lad protected me!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.