Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I've been eyeing a Loro Piana navy jacket which fits me very well, but I'm a little undecided over the lapels - might they be a little wide (4")?

Maybe a tailor or someone who has done this before can chime in? I'm wondering whether it is 'easy' to do, or if it is more trouble than it's worth.

Here are some photos of the jacket:

Thanks all in advance!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
There is a button hole on the lapel, which in all probability, is cut through.

A lapel without a button hole (or a fake one) could be altered (at a cost, it won’t be a cheap alteration).

It might be possible to make very narrow lapels, by cutting the entire button hole away.

It will be more trouble than it’s worth. Leave well alone!

·
Registered
356 Posts
The alteration is going to depend on a couple of things, if the lapel is canvassed or fused, if the button hole is cut, and how much you'd like the lapel to be narrowed. Overall I think it's more work than it's worth, if the lapel size is a problem or your having a lot of ruminations about it, skip the jacket and find one with styling you like better or have one made. Also, what is your shoulder size? That will help to determine how the proportion of the lapel will fit your body.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The lapel looks nice - maybe a little less than 4" IMO - more like 3.5. All of my MTM jackets have 3.5" lapels as I find them to be the most versatile width one can choose. I think this jacket looks great and quite balanced. The only limitation would be that you might have to skip some of your thinnest ties when wearing this jacket.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I just had a lapel narrowed ....

and the cost was $40. It was a gray flannel pin strip which had a very wide lapel. It came out looking fantastic, but I did lose the buttonhole. Since in my situation, I was altering a suit I already owned, it was not like buying a jacket knowing the lapel had to be altered. In this situation, I would not buy the jacket; you could put the alteration cost into another, perhaps better jacket.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
As others have said, the jacket looks pleasingly proportioned; just stick with wider ties. Since one of the few things that seems to change periodically in men's fashion is lapel width, be assured that those lapels will at some point in the future be absolutely au courant.

·
Registered
147 Posts
1) The lapels look fine to me.
2) If you're worried enough to have to ask and consider an alteration like that after purchase, it isn't a good purchase. Whether I follow this principle or not it always ends up true.

pbc

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with the lapels. However, if they are too wide for you then skip the purchase and hold on for what appeals to you.

Consider your body type though before going for the narrow lapels. Narrow lapels look good on a taller and slimmer gentleman, Sen. Obama for instance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
To all reading this thread: do the lapels look a little wide to you?

I rarely find myself so 50-50 over a fashion decision. This is one of those occasions. Argh! :cry:
I'm sorry, what? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!:icon_smile_big:

Hehe, I couldn't resist, sorry. I think it looks fine, but I prefer a slightly narrower lapel. Still, is it too wide? Nah.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
That jacket looks pleasantly proportioned to me.
Agreed. "Chunky" lapels are quite nice. Big ones, like the 70s, are too flamboyant. Thin ones are ok if its your style. These lapels are nicely proportioned, but that is my eye and might not be yours or common culture's. I would dare say those are nicely conservative, unless the fashion is changing and I am not aware.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.