Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've lost some weight, and am hoping/expecting to lose some more, and am wondering, as sort of an interim step between now and reaching my fighting weight and deciding which jackets need to get properly altered and which need to be replaced, could you tighten a jacjet somewhat by moving the closing button an inch?

When I pull the jackets a little tighter as I'm thinking the button placement would, they seem to look better.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
yes that will do the job. BUT!
the overlap at the front would look strange even if it was a small amount. also it would be very noticeable.
if it were a large amount it would look bizarre.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
True story.

I once had a tailor (very recently as a matter of fact) at one of the major department stores in Atlanta do this to a Canali suit I had purchased there and needed alterations to.

It did not look very good at all. Of course, I asked that another tailor (not the original one) fix the mistake and bring in the body of the jacket in a more conventional, albeit more costly in terms of labor, fashion.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I moved the button on the front of my jacket for the wedding, the day before. I think I lost just a few pounds and found that the jacket had a very slight overlap, so I moved the button about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch, and it laid a lot better and did not look weird. I would not recommend moving the button more than that, and I think the more buttons on the front of the jacket the tricky this can be to make sure they still line up well.

I definitely understand where your coming from though. Your going through what sounds to be a pretty severe change in weight and don't want to spend lots of money to tailor, then re-tailor suits your probably going to end up donating anyway. In your situation I may just experiment a bit and try to find a button location that makes the jacket look the best, both in the overlap of the lapels and the waist suppression.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.