Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up this HSM for a gambler's price.

The trousers fit perfectly I think, no altering needed.

The coat sleeves (as I fully expected) need to be taken in a half inch. (agreed?, pictures 2 and 3 reflect them best, they have ridden up nicely in picture one).

My question is on the rest of the jacket. The shoulders are a tad large, but within my tolerance. The chest feels like it needs to come in at least an inch. Do you think It can come in the from sides this much to take an inch? Lastly, is the whole thing too long? (I think not).

Thanks for the opinions, and be honest, as it was not a large gamble. I apologize for the blur, as well as my poor half windsor. I am a FIH and OCBD guy.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I think the sleeves look ok - it is your shirt that is a bit short. Add a half-inch to those, then you'll be cookin'.

Pants are a tad short for my taste.

Definitely do some waste suppression, the coat looks bulky.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think the sleeves look ok - it is your shirt that is a bit short. Add a half-inch to those, then you'll be cookin'.

I agree with the shirt, but I think the pants look great. However, the most obvious thing that stood out was that the coat looks too big. Waist supression definitely needed there.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hmm. Could be. I will revisit this. Unfortunately I have no standardisation in my shirt sleeves lengths, so I fight this constant battle.

Understand your point of view. I am looking to go with minimal / half break in my suit pants. I think this falls within "acceptable" range and they can not be mistaken for highwaters, but are without question shorter than most might wear them.

Thanks for the confirmation. I inferred that the chest needed to come in earlier, but I meant that the whole thing needs to be suppressed a bit, and I think the suit can handle it.

Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Is the jacket vented? If not, I wonder if too much waist suppression without the ability of the lower portion of the jacket to flair in response would end up looking a wee bit odd. Any tailors care to chime in on that theory?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the jacket vented? If not, I wonder if too much waist suppression without the ability of the lower portion of the jacket to flair in response would end up looking a wee bit odd. Any tailors care to chime in on that theory?
Yes, difficult to tell from the photo but it is single vented. I think taking in from the sides should not harm that too much. (I am not sure this is strictly waist suppresion, as I am guessing it would be taken in along much of side the seem. Where is "a tailor" when you need one?)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re your shirt sleaves...

I have finally come to terms with how to handle this. Shirt sleeves length can only be standardized by carefully adjusting the cuff button placement. In this way, every shirt, whether the perfect length, or an inch too long, will fall in the same place.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Re your shirt sleaves...

I have finally come to terms with how to handle this. Shirt sleeves length can only be standardized by carefully adjusting the cuff button placement. In this way, every shirt, whether the perfect length, or an inch too long, will fall in the same place.
But it would not fix a sleeve that is too short, which is what we have here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.