Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2 suits from what I have found out is Jermyn Streets less reputable menswear stores. I found this inforamation from this and other forums. I bought the suits because (A) they were on 'sale' and (B) because the proprietor said they were hand made. From reading other ask Andy forums I have discovered that they are always on sale, and that their claim of hand made is actually hand crafted with the use of a machine. I really want to take the damm things back now but am not aware if I am able to do so as the pants have been adjusted for me. Please help me as I spent 400 pounds each for the suits ('discounted' from 1000 each) and I am feeling like I have been ripped off big time.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I can't answer your question about a return as I don't know the laws and customs in your country pertaining to such things, but I can't help but have a question about your reason for wanting to return the suits.

You obviously inspected the suits before you bought them, or at least before you altered them, and apparently found them to be suitable and worth what you were paying for them. How does finding out that the "sale" price is actually the regular price and that they weren't hand made alter your satisfaction with the suits. If in your mind they were worth 400 pounds each before you knew this, why wouldn't they still be worth 400 pounds now.

What I'm saying is that unlike an antique car, collectible coin, or a painting, isn't the value of a suit based on how well it fits and how good you look wearing it? Of course the quality of the fabric is a factor, but you looked at and felt the fabric and it is the same fabric whether the regular price is 1000 pounds or 400 pounds.

I'm not making any judgment on your desire to return the suits nor am I being critical of you. I'm just trying to understand how the actual quality of the suit you visually inspected and put on has changed with your new found knowledge of the suit.

Cruiser

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The shop was certainly less that honest, but I would agree with the prior posters not to let that affect your enjoyment of your new suits.

We have a large chain of stores over here (Jos A. Banks) that seems to have a sale every day of the year, but a lot of people, including members of this forum, seem to be satisfied with their goods at the 'discounted' price.

Cheers, Jim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should probably point out that I know nothing about suits and this is my first purchase of suits. I recently moved here from abroad and my new job requires I have a suit. I guess Im just a bit annoyed that they said hand made when they weren't as I checked with a friend pre-purchase and he said it was a good price. 800 pounds is a lot of money for me at the moment and I really wanted to spend it wisely and now I have read the proprietor described as a bit of a snake oil salesman. Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I don't know much about British law, so as to whether or not you can legally return the suits is not known. I'm not a lawyer, but took lots of law courses in university, as much as I could fit into a poly/sci degree.

However, if you truly believe you were ripped off, why don't you write a letter to the owner of the firm, explain your situation and that you are certain of a degree of dishonesty, indeed outright fraud created by the salesman in an effort to pad his commission. The worst thing he/she can do is say "sucks to be you", but he may offer some compensation or a special dispensation to return the suits.

Generally, a rule I use in my own private business is that once a product is opened, partially used or altered, the right of the consumer to return is dramatically reduced unless they can prove malicious wrongdoing.

Thomas

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I can assure you, I mean not to troll. Perhaps you have me confused with another Thomas, or perhaps you have encountered other posts of mine, and chosen to disagree, as is your perogative.

What I am merely suggesting is that (without knowing full details nor having full information about heresay) he write to the owner and complain about being had.

Obviously, he's on shaky ground, having bought and approved of said suits, having had them altered and now wanting to return them. Sounds unusual, but perhaps a sympathetic owner, careful to ensure repeat business would rectify things.

Thomas

·
Vendor
1,738 Posts
My definition of a "Good Deal" is if you are pleased with what you get for the money you spend you got a good deal. This applies to any product you buy- food, clothing, a car, etc. To be hung up on " was it made by hand with no machine work" is your option, but it does not take into consideration the fact that there are aspects of making a garment that are better done by machine than by hand. My guess is there are very few bespoke garments that are entirely made by hand because they wouldn't be as good.

·
Registered
526 Posts
My definition of a "Good Deal" is if you are pleased with what you get for the money you spend you got a good deal. This applies to any product you buy- food, clothing, a car, etc. To be hung up on " was it made by hand with no machine work" is your option, but it does not take into consideration the fact that there are aspects of making a garment that are better done by machine than by hand. My guess is there are very few bespoke garments that are entirely made by hand because they wouldn't be as good.
Agreed. You'll never find an entirely hand made suit at only 400 pounds. In my area hand made starts at $2,200.00 for the most basic of hand sewn suits. That's a lot more than 400 pounds.

·
Registered
953 Posts
IHow does finding out that the "sale" price is actually the regular price and that they weren't hand made alter your satisfaction with the suits. If in your mind they were worth 400 pounds each before you knew this, why wouldn't they still be worth 400 pounds now.
I don't disagree with this personally, but Polo had to defend (and I believe eventually settled) a class-action lawsuit brought on behalf of consumers complaining that the "original retail price" on many items that were marked down was bogus (i.e. that because nobody actually sold the products at that price, consumers were defrauded into thinking they had purchased something worth more).

Again, it was almost certainly just a creative plaintiffs' lawyer trying to make a buck, but there is some precedent out there for the OP's complaint.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
If the suits were unaltered, I'd say, go storm into the shop and demand your eight hundred pounds back. But because the product has been customized and changed so that it could not possibly be resold at full price to somebody else, you're less likely to get a refund.

An analogy I often use in private business is the pizza example. You order a pizza in a restaurant. You specify that you want anchovies and olives on it. You get another, totally different pizza. You are within most people's reasonable expectations that you can send back that pizza. But you cannot eat it, put salt on it and then return it, as the pizza may actually belong to somebody else, who has recieved your proper pizza. Just like that, you can't change a suit, make it unsaleable and return it.

Thomas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.