Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Q1. Yes it can, I have worn two of suit jackets a few times to try it out

Q2. I have tried it and it works depending on the blazer style.

With my 3 SB suits jackets -
i. goes well with most trousers but style of the jacket is very helpful, it was available as a suit and separates (this is the jacket I tried with two different trousers)
ii. can work, limited options but I would not mix
iii. same as ii but with even less options (tried this once, but trousers were very smart)

Q3. Yes, but it would depend on the style and patterns of the jacket and trouser. All my suits are plain, so that does help.

However, I would not do it again though.

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
A sport coat looks different from a suit. Unless you REALLY know what you are doing, I would avoid wearing a blue suit coat as a blazer. (If you have to be told what looks different, you probably don't know enough to pull it off.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I say then teach us.

what is the difference between a sport coat/blazer and suit coat. Generally, I know that a sport coat is usually made from a type of fabric that simply doesn't work as a trouser, like a heavy flannel wool or something.
Blazers are even made from hopsack (which you can't make into a trouser)..

but i've worn the suit jacket of my navy pinstripe suit with jeans and it works fine...though, i won't pair it with any other trouser.

I think fashion is all about personal style, taking risks and doing what you feel like. After all, how you dress is a direct reflection of your personality. As long as it looks good to the eye, then it works....sticking to straight rules is fine, they will keep you well dressed, but it's boring as hell.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Blazers should be made of something other than standard suit material. Hopsack and serge work quite well. I've seen stores sell solid flannel sport coats that look far enough from suit coats to work effectively. You could get away with a solid navy suit coat and put metal buttons on it, and that is what most low-end blazers are. But a hard-finished worsted suiting needs metal buttons to make it look like something other than a suit coat. And this works only for navy (and black for those who aren't against it).

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Perhaps the question should be, can I wear a suit coat as an odd jacket?(not blazer) The term odd jacket or sport coat is not interchangeable with "blazer". I think that as odd jackets seem to be coming in very subdued patterns or no pattern, the chances of substituting a suit jacket are getting better, but there are many pitfalls along that path and its best to avoid it.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Blaze away!

I'm not sure why one would want to wear a suit coat as a blazer, unless pinched for cash or trying to derive more than one outfit on a trip with tight luggage space.

Nordstrom's now show "blazers" that do not have metal buttons, ostensibly to give the garment more flexibility, as in wearing with jeans to a club. Personally, I want my blazers with metallic buttons and the whole nine yards, or I'll just wear a suit.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Perhaps the question should be, can I wear a suit coat as an odd jacket?(not blazer) The term odd jacket or sport coat is not interchangeable with "blazer".
Quite right. You will be fine substituting a suit jacket for a sports coat. Unless the suiting is very fine or a sartorial expert is standing very close I doubt most people would tell the difference. I do suggest contrasting trousers, though.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
It is certainly true that a suit jacket can be worn as a sports coat. The question is whether it can be done successfully, without it being obvious that you are wearing an orphaned suit jacket.

The answer to that is decidedly no.

There are many threads here on this very topic, and most of us can almost infallibly tell the difference. I would say that there is no one factor that will give it away, but in general it's a combination of fabric, pattern (pretty rare to see a pinstripe sports coat, for instance), details (stitching, number and style of buttons), all of which establishes a gestalt that the garment in question is not a sports coat.

I can see the appeal, but I wouldn't do it. There are undoubtedly people who won't tell the difference, but they're not the ones you want to impress.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.