Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen:

I came across this white cashmere scarf at forzieri.com:

It's crafted by Basile. A little bit of heaven, no?

Now my question is this: It is too warm in Dallas to wear an overcoat, even in the dead of our "Winter." Therefore, what I'd like to do is wear this scarf as an accessory when I wear black-tie or white-tie. However, is that a misguided look, wearing a scarf without an overcoat?

I await your responses.

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Gentlemen:

I came across this white cashmere scarf at forzieri.com:

It's crafted by Basile. A little bit of heaven, no?

Now my question is this: It is too warm in Dallas to wear an overcoat, even in the dead of our "Winter." Therefore, what I'd like to do is wear this scarf as an accessory when I wear black-tie or white-tie. However, is that a misguided look, wearing a scarf without an overcoat?

I await your responses.

Kind Regards,

Chase
Nice scarf. But I wouldn't wear it with evening wear without a formal topcoat. I'd also think that if the weather is too warm for a topcoat, it's also too warm for a cashmere scarf.

I also believe a cream or white silk is most traditional as a scarf with evening wear and a formal topcoat.

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
Can you wear it? Sure.

It is "correct"? Not at all. It should be silk.

Disagress with your "heaven" assertion. Stratospheric, possibly ... but cashmere "heaven" belongs to Begg of Scotland.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you wear it? Sure.

It is "correct"? Not at all. It should be silk.
So, Alex, what are your views on wearing a fine white silk scarf with Evening Wear, without a topcoat in a warmer climate?

Fashion forward, or Fashion faux pas?

--Chase

·
6,643 Posts
So, Alex, what are your views on wearing a fine white silk scarf with Evening Wear, without a topcoat in a warmer climate?

Fashion forward, or Fashion faux pas?

--Chase
I've no problem with it ... but sans coat check, what are you going to do with it at the affair?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've no problem with it ... but sans coat check, what are you going to do with it at the affair?
Wow! Excellent point. Do any of my brethren from warmer climates have any ideas on where to stow the scarf during the event?

--Chase

·
6,643 Posts
Wow! Excellent point. Do any of my brethren from warmer climates have any ideas on where to stow the scarf during the event?

--Chase
How about at home in your scarf drawer? :devil:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A Kabbaz Conundrum

Hmmm. Mr. K, in post 6, you state you don't have any issues with wearing a scarf sans topcoat.

Two posts later, it really seems to bother you! :eek:

Been smokin' that funny stuff from south of the border? ;)

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
6,643 Posts
It doesn't bother me at all. You'll need to use it as an all-night-long accessory. Cool if you can keep it from looking like an affectation.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool if you can keep it from looking like an affectation.
Oh, I think after sporting an ascot on a regular basis for over a year, wearing a scarf while I dine won't be anything to be concerned about. :icon_smile_wink:

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Many times I wear a silk scarf with black tie ....

sans overcoat. I usually check it if I'm at a restaurant. I could care less if anyone thinks its an affectation. At my age, I seldom care what other people think.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
[/quote]

In Dallas, where it can conceivably get cool enough in January to need a scarf (just don't tell Frank Lloyd Wright - he won't listen), I think wearing it like Charlie Watts did is a perfectly good style.

As to what to do with it during dinner... you could always tie it to a luggage rack to claim it as your own for later. :icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All in all, quite an elegant look :icon_smile: --

--Chase

·
6,643 Posts
A traditional black & white hand-knotted is nice ...

But I'm personally biased towards the hand-fringed all-white:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Hated it until I saw it!

I was going to post a resounding "No" until I saw the picture. That's a beautiful scarf. I don't think it's that wrong to wear it with a tux, but I would draw the line at white tie, and even then only with an overcoat.

It wouldn't look right to wear it without the overcoat. Only a silk scarf would do for that, but under the collar, please. Although that's a rather affected look, in my opinion, and most of the men I've seen doing it (pas moi!) keep on wearing it right through the event. That's beyond tacky, and it should be checked.

The whole thing begs the question of where would a man wear a white or ivory cashmere scarf of that refinement unless he wore it with black tie? It looks a bit posh to wear otherwise, I should think, especially daytime.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Well, you look good . . .

All in all, quite an elegant look :icon_smile: --

--Chase
but the scarf doesn't, really. Look at the shadows cast by its inevitable billows. A silk scarf has weight and wouldn't do that. All you'd have would be vertical folds. Just wear the cashmere to keep warm with an overcoat.

Also, when one wears a scarf with a tux without an overcoat, one wears it as ornament, not to keep warm. You'd only have it directly around your neck if the latter. Get a silk scarf and run it under the collar, if you are going to wear one without an overcoat.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I guess I would disagree with the fundamental premise that Dallas is too warm in winter for a topcoat. It can be. But there are several events we attend in December and January that I have always worn a topcoat to.

Personally I wouldn't wear a scarf without a topcoat, but I wouldn't look askance at others that did. I wouldn't consider it a "conservative" choice.

I've only worn my white silk scarf with black tie here in Dallas a couple of times and got several comments on it between the car and the coat check. I took that to mean that its rarety here made it very noticable. It hasn't stopped me from wearing it, but others might think it a bit flashy here. Take that for what it's worth.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.