Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old (and I mean like 25+) LL Bean camp mocs are done. I was cutting grass today and totally blew thru one of them. I've sent them back to Bean a couple times but I guess it's just time to let go of them. They've been friends!

In looking at replacements this evening I can't find much south of $200, which is a ridiculous sum for a casual shoe of that caliber. The new Beans are nothing like the old ones. Quoddy and Rancourt are just too high. The Eastland Made in Maine Collection look nice but again they are priced in the stratosphere. The regular Eastland models don't look too bad but I am afraid of the quality. The only acceptable ones that look good and are priced about right are the Sebago Campsides. I've owned a few pair of Sebagos in my lifetime and have been pleased with all of them. Do any of you have any experience with the Campsides? Maybe another manufacturer I am overlooking? Thanks.

Shoeless in Lafayette,
Ivy

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
25,865 Posts
I don't think you're going to find a decent OTR moc south of $200. Of course, my response to any question re: moccasin toed footwear is . And they are fine and they cost less than $200. Unfortunately they have a long backlog and it will take weeks before they arrive. However, they also will last forever and if they wear out, Russell will repair. Good luck.

Reactions: eagle2250

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think you're going to find a decent OTR moc south of $200. Of course, my response to any question re: moccasin toed footwear is . And they are fine and they cost less than $200. Unfortunately they have a long backlog and it will take weeks before they arrive. However, they also will last forever and if they wear out, Russell will repair. Good luck.
I am going to check out Russell!! Totally forgot about them and I am in no hurry. As long as they could be here by fall I would be happy. Thank you!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Typhoid Jones Vintage Menswear

Sebago is a pretty good brand, IMO. Five years ago I bought a pair of lightly used Docksiders for $5.99 at GW. Three years ago, I went on a 2 month vacation with a couple of friends to SE Asia. I only brought my Docksiders (and a pair of shower shoes, lol). I wore the Docksiders in the ocean, in rivers & waterfalls, up mountains, down caves, anywhere & everywhere. I put a lot of miles on them and I still wear them often. Good shoes.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah they can be rough! But I absolutely loved them and wore the hell out of those shoes. The last few years they've been relegated to yard work status. But theyre a versatile casual shoe and I need to replace them...probably for more sentimental than practical value. For a number of years they were my go to shoe for fall casual.
I loved my Double L's when I was a younger man - my knees can't take that any more. What size?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a comment about the original post - you are a braver man than me to cut grass in a moc. Its steel toed boots for me as well as safety glasses. According to the American Society for Surgery of the Hand, 14% of all lawn mower injuries affect the ankle or foot, and 25% of those result in amputation. On the plus side, your mocs would probably last longer if you didn't use them to cut the grass.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
25,865 Posts
This is the Trad forum, you know. He might be using a very safe push mower or he might be upscale enough to ride a Deere!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the statistic. I cut grass on a fairly large diesel mower so the odds of me getting hurt, short of turning it over, are fairly slim. I didn't always cut grass with the mocs but in the last several years that's pretty much what they have been relegated to. I should've gotten rid of them years ago but just couldn't bring myself to throw them out. And I don't wear safety glasses but I do wear my Persol's!! :biggrin:
Just a comment about the original post - you are a braver man than me to cut grass in a moc. Its steel toed boots for me as well as safety glasses. According to the American Society for Surgery of the Hand, 14% of all lawn mower injuries affect the ankle or foot, and 25% of those result in amputation. On the plus side, your mocs would probably last longer if you didn't use them to cut the grass.

·
Registered
33 Posts
View attachment 10975
This is what I am looking to replace. This particular pair does not belong to me but are identical to the ones I have/had.
These look identical to the Eastland 'Made in Maine' Falmouth. If you're worried about LL Bean's quality and want an *exact* replacement, I'd start there.

I just got a pair for $50 at Nordstrom Rack (earlier this week), and while that was clearly just good luck, it means it should be possible to find them under $300 elsewhere.

·
Registered
13,644 Posts
Ivy Grad, while (for full disclosure) I grumble about the prices of Quoddy, Raincourt, etc., if they last you 20+ years like your Bean ones, does the price really matter amortized over the shoes life? That's how I justify my Alden purchases and, in truth, I never care about their price once I own the shoes (after agonizing over spending it initially) because the Aldens are always awesome, look great, feel great and last forever, so in the big picture, the few hundred dollars extra I paid is nothing over the life of the shoe. That said, my girlfriend, last summer, replaced her 20+ year old Bean camp mocs (they looked much worse then yours do) with new Bean ones and she's pretty happy with them now that they are breaking in and molding to her foot.

sbdivemaster: I have the same problem, but now that I put Dr. Scholl's arch supports in my boat, camp, espadrilles and other "no support" shoes, I'm good to go. Here is a link to the product that saved me from having to give all those shoes I love up (maybe it will do the same for you):

1 - 20 of 57 Posts