Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doc, I need a consultation! (No, I'm not pregnant, appearances not withstanding! :oops:)

Rather it's in your capacity as the resident Meermin guru. I know you have a substantial collection of Meermin shoes and boots, and deservedly hold them in high esteem. But I think I may have also read that you had acquired at least one pair of Carlos Santos footwear. And if so, my question is, how would you compare them?

Hopefully I will not give into my fantasies. But I do like them to be as accurate as possible. :oops: And I do so enjoy fantasizing about the Carlos Santos boots below!

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
I’m up to 4 pairs of CS. One suede chukka, one leather chukka, and 2 high boots.

I have found CS to be substantially superior to Meermin. More flexible leather, which feels a tad thicker than Meermins, and definitely scuffs less easily. Very, very similar to Carmina in quality. The finishing of the stitching, the real Danite instead of a knockoff, More even coloration, so far not a single abberent smudge mark or irregular welt seam, or dubious glue mark along the welt.

I still have been buying Meermin when the style and color strike me, but am looking to CS as my workhorse supplier. Their Patinas are so interesting.

Are they worth 40% more than Meermin when you factor in Skoak’s free shipping? IMO yes as at this price point we’re only talking about $90 for a high boot. Are CS a bargain compared to Carmina? You betcha.

Meermin has lasts that rival Carmina and CS for elegance, specificallly the Elton, Olfe and the new Rios last. But most boots come in Hiro, which is a non lobby round toe, definitely sleeker than Barkers, and probably more toward your Sanders liking.

Meermin to me represents, the best quality one can get at the lowest entry level pricing. They will last me forever, they soften up after a dozen or so wear, provide a great foundation upon which to add future better more special footwear. Had CS been around from the start of my shopping, I would still have a bunch of Meermin, but less than now, as CS would probably be an equal component of my colllection numerically. There are just some Meermin that are too pretty to pass up.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm up to 4 pairs of CS. One suede chukka, one leather chukka, and 2 high boots.

I have found CS to be substantially superior to Meermin. More flexible leather, which feels a tad thicker than Meermins, and definitely scuffs less easily. Very, very similar to Carmina in quality. The finishing of the stitching, the real Danite instead of a knockoff, More even coloration, so far not a single abberent smudge mark or irregular welt seam, or dubious glue mark along the welt.

I still have been buying Meermin when the style and color strike me, but am looking to CS as my workhorse supplier. Their Patinas are so interesting.

Are they worth 40% more than Meermin when you factor in Skoak's free shipping? IMO yes as at this price point we're only talking about $90 for a high boot. Are CS a bargain compared to Carmina? You betcha.

Meermin has lasts that rival Carmina and CS for elegance, specificallly the Elton, Olfe and the new Rios last. But most boots come in Hiro, which is a non lobby round toe, definitely sleeker than Barkers, and probably more toward your Sanders liking.

Meermin to me represents, the best quality one can get at the lowest entry level pricing. They will last me forever, they soften up after a dozen or so wear, provide a great foundation upon which to add future better more special footwear. Had CS been around from the start of my shopping, I would still have a bunch of Meermin, but less than now, as CS would probably be an equal component of my colllection numerically. There are just some Meermin that are too pretty to pass up.
Thank you! That's a superb and comprehensive comparison. :icon_hailthee:

And I would draw the same conclusions you have; Meermin appears to be fine footwear at an exceedingly affordable price. But given Carlos Santos' evidently better materials and flawless build, I'd be hard pressed not to spend the difference were I to become serious about a purchase.

And thanks to for reminding me that Skoak sells this CS as well, as I had only visited the CS site, and Skoak has additional models. But the pricing still looks quite similar, not considering shipping.

Sigh . . . . now I'm probably going to have to include a pair in my future, common sense be d*mned! :(/:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Dress boots have been growing on me lately. I have a decent selection of nice dress shoes and some western oriented boots but, no dress boots -thinking they be on the short list before it starts warming up again here in SC. What’s the approach to finding the correct size for a boot that has substantially more lacing compared to a dress shoe. Should one more for the same fit as a shoe, or, more play in the toe area? Seems like there’s more variables when one could potentially buy the incorrect size simply because the upper lacing fixes itself to your upper ankles.

·
Read Only
2,318 Posts
@momsdoc can you give some more sizing info on CS and their lasts?

the 234 last was just too voluminous for me, and I even went down to 8.5UK, against skoak's recommendation for a 9UK.

those were the other ones I was looking at. i'm generally a 10D

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What does one do with those dress boots? They are so very pretty, but I feel like I would need tweed plus-fours and a Purdey side-by-side to wear them.
I wore the Cheaney boots below today with corduroy pants a dress shirt, argyle sweater and waterproof coat and tweed cap. But they go very nicely with khakis and wool trousers as well under a sport jacket with a tie. While the chukkas don't exactly fall into the dress boot category, they are built on a dressier last (And nicely made.) and I see no reason that even more refined boots can't be worn with exactly the same things.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wore the Cheaney boots below today with corduroy pants a dress shirt, argyle sweater and waterproof coat and tweed cap. But they go very nicely with khakis and wool trousers as well under a sport jacket with a tie. While the chukkas don't exactly fall into the dress boot category, they are built on a dressier last (And nicely made.) and I see no reason that even more refined boots can't be worn with exactly the same things.

Very nice Cheaney boots. Jackie 3's look comfortable too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Very nice Cheaney boots. Jackie 3's look comfortable too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! Yes, they are very comfortable. I've always had good luck with chukkas' fitting, and generally with most English lasts I've tried. And while Cheaney's 125 last is the first I've purchased that is somewhat elongated, it's among the more comfortable pairs of footwear right out of the box. I'm sure it helps that I'm a U.S. 11D and have done well with all UK size 10 standard fitments (Widths.) I've tried.

I'm not wild in general about the appearance of elongated lasts, but these look very nice with their very slim waist.

Edit: I might add that the nice folks at Herring included a jar of creme polish in a matching shade. While they didn't need it, I couldn't resist giving them a light coat and buffing. The hide is a good deal nicer looking than in the above photo, and it takes a surprisingly good shine for grained leather. It's also a supple hide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.