Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a pair of NOS Florsheim wingtips that I need to verify that they are shell. I really don't want to wear/crease them to find out.

They are a dark burgundy. Darker than other Florsheim Shell shoes I have experienced. They retailed for $165 new, but I don't know how old they are. They have the number 93605 written below the size inside the shoe, and on the outside of the box. I currently own a pair of Shell wintips that have the same number on the interior. They are also very shiny for being however old they are.

I know for a fact that they aren't CG, so don't let the shine point to that. They only reason I am hesitant that they are shell is the box labels them as "brown," and the color is very dark. I am either going to sell them, or sell my used pair and keep them.

I don't want to sell them as shell and them not be such. I also don't want to keep them (sell my own), and then they aren't shell. I have attached pics to assist in answering. My main answer is "is that number the model # and if so, would a calfskin and shell shoe have the same model #?"

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
244 Posts
They are shell. The close ups of the toe punch holes is what seal the deal in my opinion. In my admittedly brief experience with shell wingtips(6yrs), the inner edges of the punch holes slope inward into the hole like yours do while with calf broguing the inner edges of the punch holes keep their edge (like my famed Nettleton wingtips;)). You've got some nice shoes!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put these in the thrift exchange for offers. I plan on keeping them unless someone REALLY want them. If no one REALLY wants them, then my Florsheim shell longwings are for sale in the same thread.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yeah, the tight shots really tell the story. Not only do they appear to be shell, but they don't appear to be calf (no pores) and I don't think Florsheim ever used Corfam on their now vintage longwings. New Corfam can be tough to distinguish from new shell in pictures (I found out the hard way), Congrats on some great shoes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.