Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was digging through the closet late last night and came across some shoes I haven't worn in a while. They were a gift from someone many years ago. I'm curious if these shoes are a worthwhile brand. I do know they were/are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. See pic below.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I owned a pair in late high school, early college. If I recall correctly, they were black calfskin tasseled loafers, with dark brown woven vamp. I loved the shoes. They were my favorite pair. Unfortunately, the company is no longer in business.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Cable & Co.

No comment from anyone? :(
I bought a couple pair from local high end men's stores in the 90's. Always comfortable and fairly well made, in Italy, I believe. I suspect they are not an example of the best Italy can do, but not bad. I recently had one pair resoled and gave away the other pair. The resole cost me 50 bucks, where else can you get a comfortable pair of nice looking shoes for 50 bucks? Let your instincts and not the brand be your guide, I'd say.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Shoe trees and leather conditioner.

Take them to a cobbler and ask his opinion. I'm sure he'd be happy to give you an answer.

640 Posts
What exactly is the purpose of shoe trees?
Shoe trees are like awwoden foot that goes in your sho when you're not wearing them. The cedar ones help absorb moisture, reduce odor, and most importantly, mainatin the shape of the shoe. For their very mdest cost, they will help shoe last longer and look good. If you love those shoes. Get some shoe trees in them.

Use the search feature here to find lots of threads on shoe trees. You can buy them at shoes stores or men's stores. Or yo can click one of the banners on the AAAC recommendations page to order some over the internet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
In the mid-90s, I bought a pair of Cable & Co. similar to ones pictured minus the woven portion. I recall their having other styles that interested me. I bought mine at Nordstrom. Later, I know they were carried at Dillard's (a department store chain in the sothwest that fits somewhere between Macy's and Nordstrom). A few years later, I asked a salesperson about the brand; he told me they were bought out by the company that is now Bacco Bucci. I don't know that to be true, but have no reason to doubt what he told me. As for the quality, I wore them off and on for about ten years; they held up very well for me. Grew tired of them before they wore out; they were lost to attrition as a result of making closet space for other shoes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I have found them to be one of the most durable shoes I have ever owned. The soles have worn much better than my Johnston & Murphy's or Bostonians I used to wear.
(As a side note, I have had the worst luck with Johnston & Murphy shoes. The soles wear out on them so fast!)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hegemon,

I also have a pair of Cable & Co. shoes. They were retrieved from the depths of my father's closet and looked terrible...they were dried out and beat up, but I noticed they were made in Italy and figured I would try to revive them. I first cleaned them with a leather cleaner (from lexol) and then gave them several applications of lexol leather conditioner. They looked MUCH better after that. Then after a day to dry out (with proper fitting shoe trees in them), I gave them a good polishing. They ended up looking great, totally revived! I wear them often in the summer now, and it is true they have great soles that do not wear down easily. I have since worn through the soles of a pair of Aldens but these soles still have hardly worn.

Get some lexol leather cleaner and leather conditioner (available at wallmart probably) and some good wooden shoe trees and those shoes will be back to life.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.