Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Dear Forum Members,

What are the major differences between C&J Coniston and AS Cambridge? Is there anyone here that has both?

Thank you.
I will offer some opinions, but I'm sorry that they based upon very limited information. While I have footwear from both makers, I've not even seen either boot in the flesh.

From my experience, I would expect both boots to be very high quality with fine materials. And I believe that both boots will be suitable for similar purposes. That said said, the C&J boot is a bit sleeker and more refined than the AS boot, and likely could be dressed up a bit more. Whereas the AS boot may fair slightly better in rough use. Note that while they both have Dainite soles, the C&J boot's midsole is a bit thinner, where the AS boot's is thicker and it looks more at home in the rough.

Cost no object, I'd take the C&J boot unless I intended it for heavier duty outdoors. But in my real life, I couldn't justify the cost of either for my circumstances and would seek a lower cost alternative such as something from Meermin or a similar maker.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I've been wearing a pair of the C&J Conniston's for the past 8 or 9 years and they have held up quite nicely, even being worn in fairly rough weather conditions. The original soles have proven to be remarkably durable, having several more seasons of wear in them. The single complaint I have is that the boots do get water stained rather easily and require a fair amount of effort to restore the original appearance.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Whereas I've been wearing the Cambridges for a few years (4 or 5 I believe). They too have durable soles, as they've seen plenty use and are nowhere near needing to be re-soled, and overall they're just superbly made from top quality leather. I will agree with Flanderian's observations and say that for lighter duties the Conistons may have the edge, but in my opinion the Cambridges are actually quite stylish and quite versatile. For actual country use in the actual countryside they win hands down as far as I'm concerned, although the Conistons too will undoubtedly do an excellent job.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you gentlemen for your input. I was torn between ordering the currently-available Cambridge or the wait-for-eight-weeks Coniston. In the end I decided on Coniston, since I have two other pairs of C&J boots and have been very satisfied with them.

·
Registered
430 Posts
On a slightly different note not worthy of a new thread I am wearing my CJ for B.B. calf shoes for the first time today. Literally the first pair of shoes that did not require any break in. That includes several pairs of AEs on at least 4 lasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
On a slightly different note not worthy of a new thread I am wearing my CJ for B.B. calf shoes for the first time today. Literally the first pair of shoes that did not require any break in. That includes several pairs of AEs on at least 4 lasts.

Hmm . . . ? :icon_scratch:

That's suggestive of something! :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
Not so sure about that. I own several pairs from both makers (more from C&J) and can't say I've noticed any real difference.
It's the instep. I have really high arches. Even the Hopkinson 201 last does not fit my particular foot as well. I do however wear on a regular basis 3 pairs of 65 last AEs as well as the 201 last. I'm ignoring qualitative aspects of the shoes - fit and comfort only.

It's not a miracle shoe, this 341 last just happens to fit better than anything else I own.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
It's the instep. I have really high arches. Even the Hopkinson 201 last does not fit my particular foot as well. I do however wear on a regular basis 3 pairs of 65 last AEs as well as the 201 last. I'm ignoring qualitative aspects of the shoes - fit and comfort only.

It's not a miracle shoe, this 341 last just happens to fit better than anything else I own.

If you have a high instep, be aware the Alfred Sargent's lasts tend to be particularly generous in that regard.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thank you gentlemen for your input. I was torn between ordering the currently-available Cambridge or the wait-for-eight-weeks Coniston. In the end I decided on Coniston, since I have two other pairs of C&J boots and have been very satisfied with them.
i think you made the right decision purely on looks. i scoped em both out and to me its not even close. crockett for the win

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
i think you made the right decision purely on looks. i scoped em both out and to me its not even close. crockett for the win
Actually, the Coniston and Cambridge are very similar-looking. I think the AS Cambridge is of equal quality at least, easier to purchase, and at a much better price. Plus, A Fine Pair of Shoes has the Cambridge in the unique dark mahogany color - a beautiful country boot (which I own)!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Funny about this post as I was just considering a resole of my conistons. But at the cost of about 170usd I am giving serious thoughts to a new pair of Sargent instead.
Don’t know if the resole value would be there. Otho I have a flat foot and the post above seem to Indicate the Cambridge may be better suite for a high instep

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Funny about this post as I was just considering a resole of my conistons. But at the cost of about 170usd I am giving serious thoughts to a new pair of Sargent instead.
Don't know if the resole value would be there. Otho I have a flat foot and the post above seem to Indicate the Cambridge may be better suite for a high instep
Some food for thought:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.