Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long time since I've had to get new dress trousers, but I'm at that point now. The 2 pairs of trousers that I have that like the most by far are some Zegna MTMs that I splurged on when we went on a trip to Italy in 2002.

I went to a local store that had a Zegna MTM program recently to get some more, and was quoted a starting price much higher than I anticipated. We're talking about a $200 difference from what I had thought, even taking into account the tanking value of the US dollar. I went to another store, where it was suggested that if I could hold off for a few months, I should wait for their Zegna trunk show to save some money.

I've been out of the serious clothes shopping mode for myself in the past few years due to kids, so I haven't paid much attention to what has been happening. On the flip side, I have an intimate knowledge of the clothing cycles of Gap Baby and Gap Kids. ;)

So my questions are:

1. The Zegna MTM price range I was quoted was $650 on up. I remember getting my trousers for about $250 in 2002. Does this sound right?
2. What's the difference between MTM and a trunk show? I was told that they would take my measurements at the trunk show, so it was essentially like an MTM program.
3. From reading through this forum, it certainly seems that a lot of the clothing manufacturers that I used to like have changed their manufacturing processes considerably. Given that, I think that I might be starting from a clean slate, and would be open to any suggestions regarding which brands or where to get dress trousers from. The main reason why I liked my Zegna MTM trousers so much was that they were really comfortable to wear. I'm a pediatrician, so I don't wear a suit jacket much at all, but any pants I wear need to hold up to walking around the hospital all day. If it helps for recommendations, besides Zegna MTM, I liked Canali and Donna Karan, but again that was back in the late 90's/early 2000's.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Wilburpan:

MTM and trunk show is basically the same. Someone from Zegna will take measure your waist, inseam, rise, and anything else that needs to be measured. you also have the choice of pocket styles, besom versus single stitch, any choices of many different colors and weight. $650 seems very high for zegna. Even at a trunk show which usually is not discounted.

I prefer incotex pants. two different styles starting at $425 and up to $595. they are better made than zegna and are obtainable a NM, Barneys and many large high end stores. You can find them on Ebay and the net at discounts. Canali are also around $400 retail, Zanella are very nice as well. Brooks Brothers makes some very nice slacks but in limited colors starting at $110 and going to $250.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It's been a long time since I've had to get new dress trousers, but I'm at that point now. The 2 pairs of trousers that I have that like the most by far are some Zegna MTMs that I splurged on when we went on a trip to Italy in 2002.
Ahh, the good old days...
The Zegna MTM price range I was quoted was $650 on up. I remember getting my trousers for about $250 in 2002. Does this sound right?
Yes. That's the current state of the union.
Canali also make some nice pants as well as Incotex, Zenella (of which I own a few) and others.
But the first question to answer is why go MTM ? Are you hard to fit?
If you don't have difficulty buying RTW, endless options are open for you. If you really need MTM, then the options are limited and expensive. Depending on your location you can try a local tailor which may charge less.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
When Samualsohn has a trunk show at the store from which I purchase tailored clothing, the price of sport coats and suit coats is reduced by $100.00 on 200 fabrics on MTM. That is the only difference between regular MTM and trunk show MTM on this brand from this store. Other vendors may have different incentives.

Cheers, Jim.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
But the first question to answer is why go MTM ? Are you hard to fit?
Oh, I don't need MTM. I have shortish legs, but I can make do. I'm just going with a known quantity here, based on past experience. Like I said, my Zegna MTM trousers are the most comfortable pants I have, except for maybe my jeans, but I can't wear them to work.

Shirts for me has been a much bigger problem.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Jim, Where do you get your Samuelsohn suits and trousers?

For $650 a pair you should just get Bespoke and choose your own fabric.
Hi Tony, thanks for the advice but I think you have me confused with the OP. I have never had MTM trousers made and the only trousers I have from Samuelsohn are the ones that came with a MTM suit. I think trousers add about $350 to the price of a jacket, but some materials are probably more.

I buy most of my clothing from Carroll & Co. Sometimes they have Corbin cords or khakis in stock for around $125.00.

Cheers, Jim.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.