Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at a pair of shoes on Yoox.com, made by a british manufacturer, and my question is as follows: it says that "The size shown for this item is the size indicated by the designer on the label." this would seem to indicate that if it says that the size is 9, then that is the UK size and it is a US 10. However, when I add the shoes to my cart, it says "9 (US Size) selected." I have bought shoes from this manufacturer before - the number written on the shoe is the british size, so are they just going by what it says on the label and making a mistake when i select an item, or has yoox actually made the effort to put the correct US size down? Anyone have any experience ordering shoes from yoox?

· Registered
1,459 Posts
Buying shoes online, as with any item of clothing online, is a big gamble. The issues which you have touched on in your OP have pointed out that it can be even more fraught with difficulty.

If you wish to protect your position as the trusting consumer, then you simply must confirm the basis of your purchase to the retailer in writing, before completing your payment for the purchase.

To do this, I would recommend that you send a quick email with the product reference, setting out, for instance, that you understand that when it says 'US size 9' this really means 'UK size 9', and that you will be making your purchase on this basis.

In the UK, we have the 14 day rule under the sale of goods act, allowing mail order consumers to return any item within that timeframe for any reason, regardless.

I would be interested to know if there is any simliar such legislative provision in the UK?

· Registered
2,219 Posts
Before buying British shoes on line,

the buyer needs to read various threads and comments about rtw fit. I did this and determined that the C&J handgrades and the BB Peals would probably fit me, whereby other shoes would just be too wide for my somewhat narrow foot. The BB Peals are sized in US sizes, so had no problem there. The C&J handgrades were a different matter. My first order from Ben Silver was supposed to be in a US size, but they were defintely a UK size, and it cost me some extra money because Silver refused to admit they were a UK size.

I finally got the size problem straightened out, and now, at least for the C&J handgrades, I know to order 1/2 size smaller when ordering in UK size; ie, a UK 8-1/2 E fitting is comparable to a US 9D fitting.

The British shoes for the wide-footed sartorilists just wont foot my foot. Fortunately, C&J hangrades come in enough different styles that I need to look no further And the C&Js fit better than some US shoes, eg; Cole-Haan and Johnston & Murphy, both of which make a wide D fitting, too wide for my foot.

The synopsis of my venture into British shoes is: British shoes are like US shoes: if one brand fits you, another may not. Find out which brand fits the best and that makes a
style(s) you can live with, and repeat orders should be no problem. Only go down a 1/2 size from US to British on Your first order, at least with, C&J handgrades.

· Registered
7 Posts
I would try to find the same shoe on Zappos.com. They have a penchant for great customer service. Not to mention decent prices and very very fast, free shipping and free returns. I have ordered a couple pairs of sneakers from them and they arrived withing two days of my placing the order. They have a huge selection of brands and many formal shoes as well, so I wouldn't doubt it's there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.