Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm between a 42-43R as my chest measures 42.5".

That said, most measurements are pit to pit thus I need to look for 42 & 44 tag sized but what should I be looking for in a pit to pit measurement?

I'm thinking ~22.5"?

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Do you have a well-fitting suit coat or sports coat you can measure? There is a range of acceptable measurements, and I like mine to be about 2 inches larger than my own chest, so for you that would be 22.25". But different people have different preferences for how they like their clothes to fit.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Agree with Matt that measuring something you already own that fits well will give you the best chance at an internet purchase. The shoulder measurement is just as important. For me I am best with an 18 3/4 shoulder and a 45 inch chest with a 25 inch sleeve. Usually that equates to a 42R. But not always.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
The problem with looking at the tag size when shopping eBay is that there’s no way of knowing the nature of any previous alterations.

I believe you alluded to something like this is another thread.

As for methods for “nailing the size”, I agree with the above.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
As SG_67 said "tag size" doesn't matter except to narrow down your choices. I am typically a 46R in standard men's clothing but with so many different cuts and the slim craziness none of that matters. I have a 47 inch chest and in a regular fit jacket a 46 used to have 4 inches of extra, nowadays 2 inches is considered normal. I've even seen several brands that now list a 46R jacket with a chest measurement of less than 46 inches, I can't begin to understand why the jacket would not at least measure the listed chest size.

Like said above, measure a good fitting jacket you already have following these instructions:
https://askandyaboutclothes.com/clothing/style-tips/how-to-measure-a-jacket/

This process is followed by most of the professional dealers on ebay. Sometimes you get someone who doesn't follow this but lists his measurements the same way and it's off when you get it. Take their reputation as a seller and number of transactions they've done into account, also always buy from someone who allows returns. I got a jacket from a non-dealer who measured everything but the waist correctly on a jacket so now I have a great looking jacket that fits awesomely except I'm going to have to have like 4 inches taken in on the waist if it can be done.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem with looking at the tag size when shopping eBay is that there's no way of knowing the nature of any previous alterations.

I believe you alluded to something like this is another thread.

As for methods for "nailing the size", I agree with the above.
I did. And what's odd is the jacket that fits me well seems to measure 21" pit to pit and yet when I measure my chest I'm ~42.5".

Makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I did. And what's odd is the jacket that fits me well seems to measure 21" pit to pit and yet when I measure my chest I'm ~42.5".

Makes no sense to me.

Are you sure you are measuring on the same place at your body?

The armhole on this jacket looks like a regular mid to low armhole. If you put this jacket on you, notice where the lower edge of the armholes are on your body. Then you measure your chest between those points and do you still have a reading of 42.5"?

Typically, when one measure one's chest, he will measure it just under the armpits, for the largest size. That is fine. However, the pit-to-pit measurement of a tailored jacket does not equate to that point. Unless the armhole is custom-made to your body just under your arm, that point under the armhole of the jacket will be lower than the place where you measure your chest.

Therefore, I would suggest you to put on this jacket and mark where the lowest point of the armhole is at your chest. Measure your chest around that size and see if that number is larger than 21"x2. If that number is indeed larger than 42", there must be some magic with this jacket that can wrap around a body larger than it is measured, or the measurement of 21" is incorrect, which means there could be some extra fabric at the back that is not shown.

You might as well post a picture of you with this jacket on to show how fit this jacket on you. There might be fit issue, but I have no clue until seeing some pictures.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Typically, when one measure one's chest, he will measure it just under the armpits, for the largest size. That is fine. However, the pit-to-pit measurement of a tailored jacket does not equate to that point. Unless the armhole is custom-made to your body just under your arm, that point under the armhole of the jacket will be lower than the place where you measure your chest.
Excellent point!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.