Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are your opinions on this?

I know Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, and others started doing this as early as the '50's. Was this completely out-there when they did it, comparable to the way some celebrities do black tie today?

Here he is with a button-down collar:

What about a button front shirt with no pocket and french cuffs? If you're wearing a cummerbund this must be a better look than a stud-front proper shirt with no waist covering, or a high-cut waistcoat? (I see both of those looks a lot I think it's the worst take on black-tie.)

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
At the last BT event I attended, there was a man wearing a button front shirt with smoked MOP buttons. I'll admit it didn't look bad, but if I were going with a button front shirt (which I am, with sumer black tie anyway), I would go with white MOP.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Real MOP is best. It is hard to replicate. Any tailor with 1/10 of a brain can replace the buttons, or if you want, you can do it yourself. MOP buttons for shirts can be had with relative ease, just look online or at your nearest fabrics/crafts store.

The buttons on my T.M. Lewin shirts look like mother of pearl. Is that what you guys are talking about?

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I suspect that Dean Martin wore the plain shirt because it looks better than a pleated shirt when no cummerbund is worn, and he often left the cummerbund at home.

Being a minimalist in most things, I like the look. In fact my current shirt is a simple white on white herringbone shirt with French cuffs and a semi-spread collar. I had to remove the pocket, but that was no problem.

It's an Eagle brand that I got at Steinmart for about $12. I had a scratch off coupon for 10 to 40 percent off and the shirt was already marked down from the regular marked down price. Lo and behold I had a 40 percent off coupon and there I stood with one shirt. They wouldn't let me go back and get anything else once it was scratched off.

Cruiser

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Really? I think he just wore whatever he felt like, and his confidence and class enabled him to pull it off perfectly.
I don't really see that this is in disagreement with what I said. I agree. That's why he didn't wear the cummerbund. He wore what he thought looked good regardless of what others might think.

Cruiser

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Interestingly . . .

. . . almost all of my formal shirts came with button strips. Naturally, I have a huge stash of those, as I'm not going to the trouble of dressing in a dinner suit and not wearing studs and links. However, at least the shirt makers thought that someone was going to wear those shirts with buttons instead of studs, else why go to the expense of making up all those button strips?

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
A good quality white business shirt would work okay with black tie. As long as the shirt is white poplin with a point or spread collar, french cuffs, no pocket, and mother of pearl buttons.
In a pinch, I would wear such a shirt with black tie . . . in fact I probably have at some point.

Emergencies aside, I prefer something with a pleated front and studs.

Like El Dino, I hate cummerbunds, but I don't think a "naked" waistband looks good, so will wear a formal vest or else my DB dinner jacket.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
What about a button front shirt with no pocket and french cuffs? If you're wearing a cummerbund this must be a better look than a stud-front proper shirt with no waist covering, or a high-cut waistcoat? (I see both of those looks a lot I think it's the worst take on black-tie.)
A business shirt is best worn with a cummerbund. That's better than no waist covering. A low-cut waistcoat is too formal for a business shirt. A high-cut waistcoat with black tie is out of the question.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
I'd normally say it looks fine, as I prefer the look of soft collar/soft fronted shirts with black tie and think MOP looks acceptable. However, he desperately needs double cuffs. The barrel cuffs are pushing it. I know it's Dean Martin and '60s and thus should be automatically right up my alley, but some things just go too far in any decade IMO.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
A business shirt is best worn with a cummerbund. That's better than no waist covering. A low-cut waistcoat is too formal for a business shirt. A high-cut waistcoat with black tie is out of the question.
This is a good point. A major function of the proper (that is, low cut) formal vest is to highlight the special types of shirtfront that go with eveningwear.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.