Votes: 16 38.1%
  • NO and would not consider buying

Votes: 18 42.9%
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally bought a pair - these are JFitzpatrick but I also have considered buying a pair of the Enzo Bonafe for several years. They are a bit of a pain to fasten when compared to regular boots although unbuttoning is fast and it may be just as easy to get off. All in all, I like the look. They are a bit different but definitely are stylish without being too dandyish (at least in my opinion). I probably won't wear them with standard jeans although perhaps with dressier jeans (jeans made from nicer fabrics). Wore them with a suit today and felt they looked pretty sweet. These have tweed but I am thinking suede if I get another pair. The Westlake - hazel calf/forest tweed.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
To me they are entirely too dandyish, but thank heavens we don't all think alike or like the same things.

I'd much prefer tweed to suede though.
That was my gut feeling too - that they would be too dandyish and hence my apprehension for buying a pair. Once I got them on, my concerns have been allayed. The pants cover the majority of the boot and unless you really look hard one doesn't notice the buttons sticking out.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I finally bought a pair - these are JFitzpatrick but I also have considered buying a pair of the Enzo Bonafe for several years. They are a bit of a pain to fasten when compared to regular boots although unbuttoning is fast and it may be just as easy to get off. All in all, I like the look. They are a bit different but definitely are stylish without being too dandyish (at least in my opinion). I probably won't wear them with standard jeans although perhaps with dressier jeans (jeans made from nicer fabrics). Wore them with a suit today and felt they looked pretty sweet. These have tweed but I am thinking suede if I get another pair. The Westlake - hazel calf/forest tweed.
Slight preference for suede but I would not hesitate to wear them with casual trousers or dress trousers. Sweet!!.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Nope & nope! Nothing wrong with them, some of them are quite handsome and on the right fellow, with the right things in the right place I think they're a fine option. But at my age, I already look enough like the Monopoly Man without needing help!

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
I have the exact boot, and find it easy to pair with odd trousers and tweed sports coat. The tweed upper mutes the dandyness of the boot
I also have the brown leather and suede EB button boot. It is a dressier boot due to the cap toe and the spatlike suede upper. Still pairs well with flannel or tweed trousers and a sports coat. The EB buttons are much harder to manipulate than Justin’s. The button hook EB provides is patheticaly weak and bent on my second use. J Fitzpatrick’s hook is a much harder sturdier metal with an easier to grip antler handle.

·
Suspended
10,801 Posts
Permit me to be honest - without the magnificent examples Roger has provided I would have sneered at such an item. Now I may, at some point, obtain a pair.

Before we get too giddy, however, I am obliged to declare that monks are forever prohibited.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Permit me to be honest - without the magnificent examples Roger has provided I would have sneered at such an item. Now I may, at some point, obtain a pair.

Before we get too giddy, however, I am obliged to declare that monks are forever prohibited.
Who bears close resemblance to Sir Topham Hatt.:)
AKA - Rich Uncle Pennybags.

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
The only way I would consider button boots would be if I were going to some sort of Victorian or Edwardian costume party. Since I am extremely unlikely to be doing this, I should say emphatically not.

My mother, when she wished to refer to something as being ridiculously old fashioned, would say, "That went out with outhouses and high-buttoned shoes." She'd be 99 this year if she were still alive.

·
Suspended
10,801 Posts
The only way I would consider button boots would be if I were going to some sort of Victorian or Edwardian costume party. Since I am extremely unlikely to be doing this, I should say emphatically not.

My mother, when she wished to refer to something as being ridiculously old fashioned, would say, "That went out with outhouses and high-buttoned shoes." She'd be 99 this year if she were still alive.
The thing is though, Jan, several of us here have heard similar sentiment directed towards our favoured items of apparel. Why, you and I are amongst the few members to be counted on this forum who regularly don the cravat.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.