Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,729 Posts
There's a slight difference in formality as polos are more casual and would "go" better with chinos. If there is any sartorial sin here, it's a minor one.

· Registered
1,331 Posts
There are two primary opinions on this forum:

1. You cannot be to "dressed up" for work. Work is a respectable adventure, not something to be addressed with playful overconfidence.

2. Business casual is something invented by people who want to be comfortable. If you find chinos more comfortable than wool slacks, go for it. I personally would rather wear wool, so if I need to throw on a sportscoat, I don't look like I was pulled off the golf course.

Thomas

· Registered
2,729 Posts
Should I start wearing chinos? If I wear a dress shirt, it would look too dressy for my situation.
There's a lot of variability in "dress" shirts: stripes, checks etc. Some are quite "casual". Avoid solids and I don't see an issue.

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I generally wear polos with jeans or chinos, mainly jeans. I wear chinos to the office with an OCBD and a sport coat or blazer, no tie.

The County office building where I have a part-time job is very casual and polos would be fine. I just don't do it; however, once I did and a newspaper reporter showed up unexpectedly for an interview and this ended up in the local paper the next day.

https://img50.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan0019ma1.gif

So I don't wear a polo to work anymore. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

· Registered
2,396 Posts
I would only wear a polo shirt with chinos to work on 2 occasions. 1. I was playing golf in the afternoon. 2. I was leaving the office early for some casual event. Otherwise, I like to wear a button down collar of some pattern or stripe with my chinos or wools slacks. I think that this is best for any situation.

If you watched the today show during the olympics in Bejing, Matt Lauer wore chinos everyday and a button down collared shirt. He wore unlined penny loafers and no Socks! On TV. That was very casual. Al also wore button down collared BB shirts.

· Registered
330 Posts
I have a quirky little rule of thumb (though rules were made to be bent, if not broken ;)):

A finer interlock polo with wool/blend slacks;
A pique polo with chinos;
Pinpoint oxford or broadcloth with wool/blend slacks;
Heavier oxford with chinos.

What can I say? \/:cool:\/
+1. If the polo is "dressy," it can be worn with wool slacks. If not, I would probably opt for something in cotton or linen for the pants.

· Registered
2,729 Posts
+1. If the polo is "dressy," it can be worn with wool slacks. If not, I would probably opt for something in cotton or linen for the pants.
I could see wool slacks with a cashmere or merino polo (long sleeved) I wouldn't do it with a cotton one.

· Registered
585 Posts
Yes, that sounds good. I should have said lightweight wool slacks. Like a tropical weight. I have only two pairs of heavier wool slacks. I wear them in the cooler months with a collared shirt or longsleeve merino polo/pullover.

· Registered
1,551 Posts
I wear polos and chinos to work most days and am still dressed in the top percentile. I think too if its a nice cashmere or merino polo it would be fine with wool trousers but a cotton one would go with chinos or jeans if you fancy those. But it really depends on the shirt and the pants, I go case by case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.