Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first post on this board - I hope this is an appropriate question.

I recently purchased a burgundy sport coat. It's not at all special (JC Penny, Stafford). The question isn't really about the coat, but the color. After I purchased it a couple of family members gave me a hard time about the color. They said that the only people they know that wear burgundy sport coats are old men. I'm 27 - is a burgundy sport coat a no no?

Here's a picture that I found online that looks like my coat (not my ad, just look at the picture).

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's a bit of a statement; but, I get good use out of my burgundy blazer in the Fall. I suggest sticking with a white or blue shirt and trying it with jeans to dress down or charcoal/gray to dress up.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hmmm, at 62 and a member of the COB Club (crusty ol' b*st*rds), I have no Burgundy jacket. Perhaps I should get one. That being said, I'm not sure how sartorially "connected" your family members are, but I think that statement is more a pre-conceived notion ( with little if any validity) than fact. My advice if it looks good on you, wear it!

Bookman gave good advice on ensembles. Perhaps a posted picture would be in order to get some independent feedback. I think age has little to do with acceptability of clothing style or color, except perhaps I think I would look fairly silly wearing droopy jeans with my boxers showing while sporting a baseball cap on sideways :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think age has little to do with acceptability of clothing style or color, except perhaps I think I would look fairly silly wearing droopy jeans with my boxers showing while sporting a baseball cap on sideways :)
I don't know if the "except perhaps" part of that sentence is necessary. A 62-year-old would look just as ridiculous in that getup as a 16-year-old does.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts

They said that the only people they know that wear burgundy sport coats are old men. I'm 27 - is a burgundy sport coat a no no?
Welcome to the forum.

The men who wear burgundy jackets are the men who appreciate 1930's elegance.

·
Registered
826 Posts
If the chicks dig it, wear it.

I recently purchased a burgundy sport coat. It's not at all special (JC Penny, Stafford). The question isn't really about the coat, but the color. After I purchased it a couple of family members gave me a hard time about the color. They said that the only people they know that wear burgundy sport coats are old men. I'm 27 - is a burgundy sport coat a no no?

Here's a picture that I found online that looks like my coat (not my ad, just look at the picture).

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Is it a No no? Of course not. Some things to consider though,
1) are you comfortable with yourself and the way you look in the jacket?
2) do you feel like you look "great" in the jacket.

If any of your answers are no than don't wear it. I see this quite often. A younger fella trying to dress in the traditional manner and winding up looking like he's playing dress up. You need to wear the clothes don't let them wear you.

The fact that you're reaching out to this forum shows that you may be a little uncomfortable getting ribbed for your rig. Or you just want some reassurance.

My advice is this, stick with the basics. Blue blazer, khakis, jeans, white polo, Shetland crews/v necks, etc. Mix these up with pink shirts, unistripes, Nantucket reds, seersucker etc. This way I think you'll look great, be confident and still have room to experiment with crazier shirt colors or even GTH pants.

Just my $.02 , forgive me if I'm way off base.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
ehh, I'm 19, and I get told I dress like an old guy. I generally reply "An old guy with swagger," or something similar, then follow up with a line on the order of "but it's how I like to dress, and... why not, right?"

As for the burgundy jacket, wear it if you like it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't have a burgundy blazer, but I think it looks great. For me, the only color blazer I would avoid for sure is a dark green one, because I haven't won the Master's.

I think the problem with your friends is that many young people think that anything other than black from head to toe is uncool. A friend was in San Francisco some years ago and he and girl friend went out on the evening. Whererever they went, almost everyone was completely in black. He said it was like a uniform. The "cool" people who do that think they are being "individuals" and non-comformists, but in reality they are the ultimate conformists.

Tell your friends there actually are colors besides black. I admire your spunk for going against the crowd.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I'd pick up a burgundy blazer if I saw one in my size at the right price. However, I think it's easier to get away with a cord sport coat in that color than an actual blazer.

I don't have a burgundy blazer, but I think it looks great. For me, the only color blazer I would avoid for sure is a dark green one, because I haven't won the Master's.
If it's dark enough, I don't see an immediate correlation with golf.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks very much for all of the advice! I like the jacket, I'm just a bit new to wearing these types of clothes (my wife and I are beginning to speak a churches that expect a certain level of dress) so I don't quite trust my judgement yet.

I took Bookman's advice and wore it this morning with jeans and I liked the overall look (I wasn't speaking this morning so I didn't have to dress very formal).

Thanks all!

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,020 Posts
Burgundy or maroon sport coats were sported by some of the fellows at my prep school. Never fancied one myself. However, all the guys there were a lot younger than 27. This was admittedly well over a half-century ago.

I do think sport coats or blazers in burgundy or marroon do tend to make you look as if you were hotel staff, working for a car rental agency or part of a real estate "team." A few years ago, while I was wearing my green blazer, someone accosted me thinking I was part of the building security staff!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.