Men's Clothing Forums banner

Burgundy blazer

15K views 66 replies 36 participants last post by  Ceriano 
#1 ·
I stumbled across a burgundy blazer today. I know BB has an unusual, though accepted bottle green one, but how would this community react to a burgundy one?

#6 ·
A hunt breakfast?

Volunteer as a customer service coordinator at Woodhull Medical and Mental Health Center, Brooklyn, N.Y.: "Easily recognizable by their burgundy blazers, the coordinators staff the main information desk and cover both outpatient clinics and inpatient units. Their responsibilities range from walk-in patients to appointments to resolving billing issues."

Former WW II POWs wear burgundy blazers, "the color of blood," at memorial services for fallen soldiers.

It is part of the dress code for Bronte College, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, along with grey trousers, navy v-neck sweater, and an unspecified tie.

M. R. Security, of Edmonton, Canada, also uses a burgundy blazer, grey trousers.

So, what's my point? Blazers started out as organizational garb in whatever color that organization adopted. Only the navy blue blazer has widely become an item of general wear. Now, there's really no reason why blazers of other colors couldn't be worn by anyone on any occasion, but it's going to seem faintly "uniform" in the eyes of many people.

How to avoid that: Be sure that you accessorize in such a way that it is clearly not a uniform. In the case of a burgundy blazer, for instance, given the number of uniforms that use grey trousers with that, grey trousers might be best avoided. Try cream, perhaps, that being a very impractical choice for a uniform. Make sure the tie is a little wild, maybe a colorful paisley in golds, greens, or even pinks or lavenders. Maybe a shirt with contrasting collar and cuffs, with the body in light blue or pink?

#12 ·
There was another thread in which I mentioned that I was mistaken for a congressional page when I was sixteen. If the coat looks like quality, and it fits well, people won't assume it's a uniform.

As for the bottle green, I really think its popularity is associated with a blazer in a lighter shade that's worn by members of a certain club in eastern Georgia and the winner of a golf contest they sponsor each April.

#13 ·
I've gotten quite a lot of razzing in the forum culture for my green blazer from W.W. Chan, notwithstanding the example of Brooks and the green blazer's endorsement by Roetzel and others. I suspect it might be as bad for a burgundy blazer.
Say it ain't so!

The forest- or tartan-green blazer is an acknowledged classic. Burgundy is . . . well, not.

I am trying to picture a burgundy DB blazer looking anything other than truly awful, and I can't do it.

The dark-green blazer, btw, should never be mistaken for the distinctive kelly-green blazer associated with Augusta National.

On a vaguely related note: For many years, the University of Maryland's athletic director was a man named Jim Kehoe who was locally famous for his penchant for somewhat GTH plaid sportcoats, like so:

Sometimes "Coach Kehoe" would flip the script and wear a solid cranberry blazer with plaid pants, a white belt, and white shoes. Whoa. I wish I could find a pic of one of those ensembles.

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.