·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussions such as these happily remind me that I bought my like new classic Burberry poly cotton trench at a U.K. vintage shop for £60. I received three compliments on it while in Toronto this weekend.

However my wife has requested a short black Burberry trench like coat for her birthday in November at $1800. That's what I get for gloating too loudly!

Cheers,

Building Font Engineering Design Wood

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,769 Posts
Discussions such as these happily remind me that I bought my like new classic Burberry poly cotton trench at a U.K. vintage shop for £60. I received three compliments on it while in Toronto this weekend.

However my wife has requested a short black Burberry trench like coat for her birthday in November at $1800. That's what I get for gloating too loudly!

Cheers,

View attachment 36108
LOL. Paybacks can be costly...but worth it in the overall scheme of life! ;)

·
Registered
13,644 Posts

Cheers,

View attachment 36108
So, all in, two Burberry trench coats for $1860 or $930 each, plus one very happy wife. Still sounds like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
again, I'm not sure this qualifies as a trench coat. More of a car coat. I know this may be pedantic but it's worth drawing the distinction.
Trench coat is a phrase that is used to describe quite a few style of coats these days. Is your definition the traditional long, double breasted cotton version?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
again, I'm not sure this qualifies as a trench coat. More of a car coat. I know this may be pedantic but it's worth drawing the distinction.
Then to further be pedantic, I associate car coats with being single breasted and about the same length as a peacoat, so not much longer than a sports coat.

I've never seen a double breasted trench coat hitting above the knees referred to as a car coat.

·
Registered
14,998 Posts
Trench coat is a phrase that is used to describe quite a few style of coats these days. Is your definition the traditional long, double breasted cotton version?
for me it needs to go below the knees. The coats alluded to don't. They go to mid thigh at best. Of course the models are taller and perhaps someone shorter may experience the coat differently.

What is striking is that Burberry, the company that practically invented the trench coat and is still most identified with it, blurs the line and distinction.

For the record I don't own a trench coat and have found that a car length coat serves just as well.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.