Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have learned much from reading these forums. I appreciate all the great information here. I am slowly rebuilding my wardrobe on a limited budget. I am shopping for a navy blazer. I have been looking at department stores e.g. Macy's, Nordstom Rack, and Jos A Bank.

I found this Tommy Hilfiger blazer at Macy's. I have some store credit and coupons so this is my first choice unless it is totally horrible.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...ile_pdp&upc_ID=38646174&listItemId=1518867684

I do not really care for the buttons. Opinions on this one?

Any other recommendations for a "can't miss" blazer? I did like the travelers line at JAB as well. They can be had now for about $200 which is probably my limit for this.

I look forward to all feedback and other recommendations you may have.

Cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
My advice is always to buy used unless you are a really unusual size or are looking for something specifically that is uncommon. I would personally look on Ebay for a well made vintage blazer. I got a U.S. made full canvased Hickey Freeman blazer for around $50 or $60 if I remember right without any issues.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Shop around until you find, within your budget, a blazer made of 100% wool. The Tommy Hilfiger blazer you mentioned is a wool/polyester blend. Raise your standards; based on what you said, it's not as though you must have a navy blazer by a specific deadline. Take your time.

eBay is a good idea. Perhaps--perhaps--the JAB jacket will work...if it fits you beautifully...or can be easily altered to fit you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your response. I am a 42-44s with a 32 waist. It depends on the cut but 42s for regular fit. I have a 50 macys gift card I was hoping use but could certainly spend it on something else.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shop around until you find, within your budget, a blazer made of 100% wool. The Tommy Hilfiger blazer you mentioned is a wool/polyester blend. Raise your standards; based on what you said, it's not as though you must have a navy blazer by a specific deadline. Take your time.

eBay is a good idea. Perhaps--perhaps--the JAB jacket will work...if it fits you beautifully...or can be easily altered to fit you.
Thank you kindly. Thanks for the 100% wool tip. No deadline so I can certainly shop around.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Could someone comment on this blazer as being a better alternative?

It is a good brand as I understand it.
Samuelsohn is a very good brand. But regarding the "blazer" in the link you provided: Is it really a blazer rather than an orphaned suit jacket? The seller says it's made of "silky smooth" super 100s wool; the buttons also look like standard suit buttons. The buttons can be easily changed, but are you sure you want your first navy blazer to be made of "silky smooth" fabric? How about something a bit more textured, such as hopsack?

Also, the "blazer" you're looking at on eBay has sleeves that are only 23 inches long, with 1 inch available to let out. Will those lengths work for you? And the seller states the sleeves have "surgeon's cuffs," which means it has working buttonholes, which means if you need to have the sleeves lengthened, those buttonholes are staying put, which means they will end up too far from the end of each sleeve if the sleeves are lengthened. Unless the sleeves can be made longer by fiddling with the top of each sleeve, which would be expensive if it could be done.

Regarding blazers made of a wool/polyester blend: I previously told you to shoot for 100% wool, and I still believe that would be the most prudent thing to do. However, let me qualify my advice just a bit: The Anderson-Little blazer, as well as the hopsack "Traveler's Blazer" that Orvis sells, are made of wool and polyster; this fabric means that the owner, prior to a trip, can ball up his jacket, cram it into a carry-on, then, upon reaching his destination, pull out the wadded-up garment and have a blazer that has barely a wrinkle.

So if you plan to do a lot--I mean a lot--of hard traveling with your blazer and you don't want to worry about how it will look when you get there, then consider the Anderson-Little blazer (the Orvis item is probably beyond your budget right now). The Hilfiger blazer you were pondering is also made of a blended fabric, but is that because it's supposed to be good for traveling, or because the maker simply wanted to get a cheap blazer on the market? I don't know.

Aim for 100% wool if you anticipate going easy on your blazer: wearing it to business meetings, out to dinner, etc. If you're a traveling salesman or a paid assassin, however, perhaps the Anderson-Little product might be advisable. Still, whether you will be in Scranton giving Power Point presentations about next quarter's sales goals or in Prague beating the daylights out of bad guys, avoid orphaned suit jackets.

EDIT: I just saw FLMike's post. We both think it looks like an orphaned suit coat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aim for 100% wool if you anticipate going easy on your blazer: wearing it to business meetings, out to dinner, etc. If you're a traveling salesman or a paid assassin, however, perhaps the Anderson-Little product might be advisable. Still, whether you will be in Scranton giving Power Point presentations about next quarter's sales goals or in Prague beating the daylights out of bad guys, avoid orphaned suit jackets.

EDIT: I just saw FLMike's post. We both think it looks like an orphaned suit coat.
Charles,

Thank you for your candor and advice. I will abandon this jacket and look for wool as my "contract" days are behind me.

I very much appreciate all the advice and guidance this forum and its members bestow.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Hmmmm I see the Orvis only comes in regular length. I wonder how that will work for me at 5'6. I am sure it can be altered.
All the more reason for you to give the Samuelsohn "blazer" on eBay a pass. It's a 42 short and the back from the top of the collar to the hem measures 31.5 inches--too long for you.

Call or e-mail Orvis and ask them how long the 38 regular is. I suspect that it, too, will be too long for you. It's theoretically possible to shorten jackets by an inch--sometimes the results look good, sometimes not--but it's easier to buy the correct length to begin with. Because you have time to shop around--and because there are tons of navy blue blazers out there in various sizes and fits--look around for something that will need minimal alterations.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.