Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like it or not, Labor Day 2008 will soon be a thing of the past and summer will unofficially be over (though I personally adhere to the Sept. 22 date). Since I was a teenager, I have tried to wear my white bucks every Labor Day (with several exceptions over the years I am sure)...as it is supposed to be the last day you could "correctly" wear them. I am wearing one of my older pairs as I write this.

Since Kansas City will be getting summer-like weather for the next month, and the fact I am not quite ready to pull the plug on summer, I am keeping white bucks (and possibly seersucker) in the rotation until the bitter end.

Is anyone else planning to wear their white bucks after Labor Day?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Eventhough I'm larger than any doctor would approve of and I sweat like a prostitute in church and eventhough I live in a semi-tropical enviroment I will faithfully begin the process of putting away blatent summer attire tomorrow. It's a matter of personal tradition forced upon me at an early age by my mother. I also equate the rule to faithfully keeping traditional style, if I let this slip what else will I let slip?

·
Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
3,590 Posts
Like it or not, Labor Day 2008 will soon be a thing of the past and summer will unofficially be over (though I personally adhere to the Sept. 22 date). Since I was a teenager, I have tried to wear my white bucks every Labor Day (with several exceptions over the years I am sure)...as it is supposed to be the last day you could "correctly" wear them. I am wearing one of my older pairs as I write this.

Since Kansas City will be getting summer-like weather for the next month, and the fact I am not quite ready to pull the plug on summer, I am keeping white bucks (and possibly seersucker) in the rotation until the bitter end.

Is anyone else planning to wear their white bucks after Labor Day?
Damn the rules. I wear my summer clothes until the end of summer. Besides, it will be in the 90s for some time yet.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Damn the rules. I wear my summer clothes until the end of summer. Besides, it will be in the 90s for some time yet.
Hear! Hear! I confess to feeling "twitchy" around Labor Day and with many of the practical gentleman's clothing customs formulated on the east coast with its fairly distinct four-season climate. I was brought up there and still look to such things but since I live in California where the seasons are subtler and care not for the calendar I must pay more attention to the actual weather. Here it's going to be in the high 90's this week, again, and while I won't be wearing white shoes past today (just...can't...do...it) I will be keeping my seersucker shirts, cool poplins and other lightweight clothes in rotation. Until summer has ended, whenever it will be. My tan bucks will suit me just fine.

If I am to travel back east, though, I'd leave the summer clothes behind, assuming that fall had arrived wherever I was headed.

Cordially,
Adrian Quay

·
Banned
4,321 Posts
Oh heavens no, put them away! One might choose the month of September to fade out his summer ties, but white bucks, seersucker and any Lilly printed trousers should be properly stored 'till next season along with linnen and madras.

* Exceptions will always be granted for those residing in costal climes, and chuffs.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
...* Exceptions will always be granted for those residing in costal climes, and chuffs.
What and where exactly are the climates near the ribs? I believe there is a Rib Mountain in Wisconsin but are there that many people there with white shoes? A nursing school perhaps? ;)

As for chuffs, it's generous of you to grant an exception for so very, very many.

Cordially,
A.Q.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I dress appropriately for the weather and season, which means keeping some of the summer clothes in the rotation.

I have read that the original "rule" only barred white shoes after Labor Day. Somehow people have extended this prohibition to most all summer wear. If you look at the Classic Trad pictures thread, I do not believe that this was the case in the classic trad era. Men even wore white bucks year round in the 50s (which I would probably not do). I say wear whatever is comfortable for the weather.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My seersucker and white bucks are done for the year. Linen clothes, spectators, and possibly my Panama hat may make a few more appearances.
I think this is the most sensible approach for us traditionalists. I'm wearing my linen jacket today, but will phase that out by October. I'll wear some of my LS madras shirts as well, probably, but only those with more muted colors. Nothing at all pastel.

Scott

·
Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
8,748 Posts
Overtly summer attire I will retire for the season. The seersucker had a final blowout on Sunday; I wore a madras shirt yesterday. I feel that a Panama is simply a matter of temperature, however. On hot days--like today--I wore one. One must nod to tradition, but also common sense.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.