Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must admit, I have a thing for shoes. Lately I have been obsessing over a pair of brown suede shoes and/or boots.

I believe I have narrowed my search down to the following two. Church Ryder, or CJ Saville. I know they are two completely different styles of shoes so therefore I'm looking for the advice on what or how to make the best purchase decision. What would be best for everywhere? Something to wear to work on casual days and on weekends with dark jeans or chinos?

What are other member thoughts? I'm curious to hear what people are wearing their suede shoes with, ie type of pants, to work, or just weekend wear.

CJ Saville's

Church Ryder III

·
Registered
27,618 Posts
Both the boot and shoe are handsome. I haven't shopped Church in a long time, and have read some here question the quality of some of their footwear under Prada. I'm sure the C&J is fine quality.

I know many seem to like to wear what I consider to be more dressy/formal shoes with khakis or jeans and the like, but I find that incongruous. I would consider C&J's brown monk strap on its elegant last more of a dressy/formal shoe (Though toward the more casual end of the spectrum.) than a casual/informal shoe, and that it would look best with anything from many suits down to a pair or tailored trousers.

Conversely, I consider a suede Chukka to be casual/informal and well suited anywhere from khakis to a country suit of cord or tweed. I have a similar boot of which I'm fond that I wear with such items.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I own a pair similar to the CJ Savilles.And I usually like to pair my monkstraps with a nice pair of jeans, Sweater or polo
(depending on weather), with a nice blazer or sportcoat.:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
385 Posts
I must admit, I have a thing for shoes. Lately I have been obsessing over a pair of brown suede shoes and/or boots.

I believe I have narrowed my search down to the following two. Church Ryder, or CJ Saville. I know they are two completely different styles of shoes so therefore I'm looking for the advice on what or how to make the best purchase decision. What would be best for everywhere? Something to wear to work on casual days and on weekends with dark jeans or chinos?

What are other member thoughts? I'm curious to hear what people are wearing their suede shoes with, ie type of pants, to work, or just weekend wear.
Archdale, welcome to the forum.

As you pointed out, the Ryders and Savilles are two entirely different styles. Here are possible uses for each:

Saville:
1. Jeans
2. Chinos/khakis
3. Lighter colored (not very formal) suits.

Ryder:
1. Jeans
2. Chinos/khakis
3. Cargo pants.

I think you will get a wider range of use with the Saville, both with light suits and casual pants (jeans and chinos). With the Ryder, while it looks great with jeans/chinos/cargo pants, it just doesn't work with a suit, unless it's a country suit or casual suit like Flanderian suggested.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and recommendations. I'm leaning towards the Saville's as I tend to sway more towards the 'can I wear this to work?' spectrum while also looking for something suited for the weekends. I recenlty purchased a pair of Sugar Cane 1955 Selvedge dungarees and I'm itching for a quality non-leather shoe to pair with these on the weekends while also pulling double duty at the office on more casual days. Seems the Saville's may fit the bill.

Sugarcane 1955's

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Being from the East coast Flanderian may not know the West coast dress for most of the working and non working attire. I agree the monks are the best and most versatile choice. I wear suede lace ups with jeans, slacks and suits. I usually won't wear oxfords with jeans but a derby/blucher or monks for sure are versatile enough for jeans, cords or chinos.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have the somewhat similar light brown suede C&J Malvern, which is benchgrade and so on a different level, but still wanted to comment that I've been very happy with it and consider it a very versatile shoe. I've worn it with jeans in a manner very similar to what you're proposing, and it works, at least for me. I do wish it were dark brown suede, though!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I got in touch with Alka at PLAL.com to order me up a pair. I'm looking forward to trying to pair these to my wardrobe. I hope they don't displace other shoes in my collection. Well I guess that's what a rotation is for:aportnoy:

Go for the monk strap. I've found monks in suede are amongst the most comfortable shoes one can own.

Pass on the ankle derby/chukka boot

·
Registered
27,618 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I got in touch with Alka at PLAL.com to order me up a pair. I'm looking forward to trying to pair these to my wardrobe. I hope they don't displace other shoes in my collection. Well I guess that's what a rotation is for:aportnoy:
Congratulations! They should be beautiful. How did you work out the sizing with PLAL? And didn't I read somewhere earlier where PLAL wouldn't be selling C&J anymore?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Church's Sydney suede monk strap on the 73 last offered by www.herringshoes.co.uk is switching to a darker suede colour and is less excessively priced than other Church shoes have become over the last couple of years compared to CJ. I have lighter brown suede shoes for summer, but the darker are better in winter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.