Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the Los Angeles area, and hoping to find something soon, so this precludes MTM options. If anyone is aware of any sales though, I would be greatly appreciative. After reading around the board, I am conflicted as to whether or not the Brooksease is a good option in the $600 range. I am looking for plain charcoal 3/2 sack, and as it will be getting a lot of wear over the next few years, I am looking for the best construction my money can buy.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
suits

My friend

Hart Schaffner and Marks has a nice entry suit. I would advoid the Brooks ease. Wait till you purchase their better suit.
There are a lot of other places. O Connels in Buffalo. Also contact Ben Silver. They carry RTW classis suits, your pinstripes for around that price.
It is their entry suit, navy, charcoal etc with pinstripe. They used to show in catolog.
Also my friend check out Joseph Banks.
It is not a bad suit, when in a crunch. They have sales, and different suits.
I would look at their Signature suit, on sale. They also have another, that sells under 300 bucks, when on sale.
Otherwise, I think for the buck, your situation. The HSM may be better buy, at that price

Good luck

·
Registered
208 Posts
I respect the Grad but on the contrary, I disagree that these are inferior suits. They can take hard wear & are stay relatively soft. They are not Oxxford quality but a rung under Samuelsohn's base models. They are at least equal to or better than HSM.

My own observations on the brooksease are good to decent suits-
based upon 2 key factors;

I had at least 3 of these suits & wore them for about 7 years
(in heavier rotation at first but overall I wearing them 2x a month & torturing them with probably 12 total dry cleanings).

1They are workhorse suits + they do not look the worse for the wear.

2 They are made by Southwick *half-canvas.

The only con- good luck finding one, they are discontinued & you may choose to go with brooks select.

Personally, I will not pay a $100 upcharge because the brethren at brooks are too damn cheap to stock their own traditional cut suits which are now made in their own factory. *Brooks bought Southwick.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Call O'Connell's. I got a fully canvassed new old stock H.Oritsky 3/2 sack for $500 shipped from them. Better than Brooksease and less expensive. OLC has a lot of suits in stock and if you are not in a hurry to buy, they can take photos of suits for you and post them on the website. Whatever you do, make sure you confirm measurements with an existing suit or sportscoat that fits you well. Their suits tend to run slightly smaller than many sack suits being made today. A big plus on them is that the shoulders are much less padded than anything you can get off the rack elsewhere in the realm of 3/2 sack suits.

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/showthread.php?t=85891&highlight=oconnell%27s+3%2F8+lined

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Old Hickory

I agree with you. I thought he was looking for a suit around 500. Which puts Oxford out of it.
I agree about HSM and Joseph Banks, but for the buck. Gets some decent respect here.
I recommend O Connels as well.
When able to pay more, most definitely get Brooks Brothers.Hickey Freeman or Oxxford
I think, for the buch. Look at Joseph Banks.
It is a work horse of a suit. And very cheap.
Nice day

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I made it to Brooks Brothers today and to my delight, they still had a Brooksease in Charcoal in a 42S...the only thing better would have been if it was discounted. I have them holding it for me today, and I will most likely go pick it up this weekend unless something excellent comes to my attention. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Looks like you've already made your choice, and it's probably a pretty sound one. However, if you're looking for another "utillity" sack, or perhaps one in Navy, try this one from J. Press:

It's on sale @ $438. I believe it's made by S. Cohen. A lot of people here aren't really thrilled with S. Cohen's stuff, but I have one and I can tell you it's a good work-a-day suit. It looks like a million bucks compared to the Macy's MIC specials I see a lot of people wearing, but it isn't so costly that you'll fret every time you go out to lunch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I have postponed picking up my suit until Wednesday, and I was wondering if anyone knows if my local Brooks might still have any 3/2 Sacks from the 1818 range?

As far as I have been able to decipher, the 1818 line recently hand at least one 3/2 sack that has since been discontinued, and if I can get my hands on 2 in my size, I might take advantage of the 2 for $999 deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.