Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the general consensus on the BB "original polo" obcd seemed to be that it was a good shirt, but not a $140 shirt.

Well, with the semi-annual sale on at the moment, including today's extra-fifteen-percent-off, they seem to clock in at $71.40 (if you buy four), if I've done my math correctly.

So, what say those who have worn or played with them: a good buy at $71.40 plus tax, or is that just money one would be better off putting towards a Mercer?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I know the general consensus on the BB "original polo" obcd seemed to be that it was a good shirt, but not a $140 shirt.

Well, with the semi-annual sale on at the moment, including today's extra-fifteen-percent-off, they seem to clock in at $71.40 (if you buy four), if I've done my math correctly.

So, what say those who have worn or played with them: a good buy at $71.40 plus tax, or is that just money one would be better off putting towards a Mercer?
That's a fantastic price for those IMO. I have 3 currently. I don't mind that they lack a chest pocket, but that's an issue for some.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you would be looking at a $85 price tag, but do report back if you go through with it.
Well, 140 * 0.6 = 84; 84 * .85 = 71.4

That said, the sales associate at the mall last night said the 40% off four was good on the classic ocbds, but whoever told him that isn't running the website, where the best it will do is 15% off the list price, yielding, as TimF says, $85 for some and $119 for others.

Rats. I was hoping to buy them online, because I can get an extra 5% cash back via Upromise doing it that way. Now I don't know if Seth will even be able to do it in the store.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeah, on the website they are currently listed at $100. For some quirk they do not seem to participate in the 40% off 4 program.

IMO they are not worth it at 85, or even 70. Better to get the older lined models which are being phased out. (A price of $140 is uncomfortably close to MTM prices that the value proposition of RTW isn't really there.)

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
The title of the thread constitutes a question that has no one correct answer. The "worth" of something is subjective. Its “worth” depends on the values, desires, priorities, and financial circumstances of the individual who is thinking about buying it. Those factors vary from one person to another.

As Paul Winston has said, if you like what you got for the price that you paid, you received a good value.

Just as TimF has done, I could tell you the price at which, for me, those B.B. oxford shirts would start to creep away from being a good value. But that information would merely tell you something about me; it would have nothing to do with you.

Your questions will yield more fruitful results if you pose them to yourself. Ask yourself: How much do you like the new BB Oxford shirts? For awhile you thought that maybe you could get them for about $72.00 each. Now it looks like the best you can do is $85.00. Do you like the shirts enough so that the extra 13 bucks are worth it?

How about the Michael-Spencer oxfords? For around $140.00 you can specify, to the nearest quarter inch, the collar size and sleeve length. You can have a pocket or not; a locker loop or not; a third button on the back of the collar or not. You can opt for an unlined or a lightly lined collar. Is having those options available to you worth the extra cost to you? Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t—you’re the only one who knows.

Do you really, really like the roll of the collar on the Mercer oxfords? If so, are they worth the price to you? Or are the BB collars good enough? Have you even given the Mercer collars much thought?

If I had a choice between a BB Oxford at $85.00 (or even $100.00) and a Mercer at $140.00, I’d go with the BB. They’re fine. But beyond $100.00, I’d throw in the towel and get a Michael-Spencer cut to my specs. (However, there are some chambray and broadcloth shirts from Mercer I’d like to have. And Mercer’s “James Bond” tattersall is on my wish list.) But that’s just me. It doesn’t say anything about you. What I’m doing is sharing. I’m trying to be more sociable, so I’m sharing. Now I have to take a break. All the “sharing” I have done in this paragraph has exhausted me.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
I really like the two "new-style" BB OCBDs that I own, but even $85 is a bit rich for my blood. I prefer to use this time of year to purchase the BB must-iron pinpoints and end-on-end broadcloth shirts at $36 each (when you buy 4+). Now THAT is a good deal.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have 4 of these shirts and just bought 3 more...for 100 each I think it's a decent buy.

Relative to the closest comparable shirts (Michael Spencer, Mercer), the Brooks Bros. original is a good buy.

I don't think I'd ever buy them at the sticker price but then again I never buy anything from Brooks Bros. unless it's at least 25% off (though between the corporate discount and buying gift cards on Raise.com I can usually bring it down to 20% off if I can't wait for a sale). At 25% off the shirts are $105.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got one on sale and while it's a good shirt, I'm not sure it's worth the price I paid. If I get anymore, it will only be when they're on sale like they have been this week. Even then, it's not a guarantee I will spend that much for them. But, again, it is a nice shirt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
After seeing they discontinued the breast pocket, i've been trying to stock up on the one they just stopped making, as lined as the collar is, it still looks better than most of the other shirts in my closet. It also isn't $140! once you cross the $100 mark, there are a whole lot of strong competitors.

I have been told they still make a model with the pocket in some alpha size, as a 'sport shirt' but what is the point of that?

·
Registered
326 Posts
It's a nice shirt; I actually prefer it without the breast pocket.

I purchased a few when it came out again; nevertheless, I think it's a bit overpriced; to me it's well worth the price under $100.

@$140, though, I prefer m-t-m.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It's been so long since I've bought these that I can't remember whether one needs to go half size up on neck and whole size on sleeve, especially if you are commercially laundering them?
I have a dozen or so of the older version, and 3 of the new unlined ones. I don't size up at all, and mine are commercially laundered. I've never experienced an issue with shrinkage with my cleaner though, so perhaps I'm lucky to have a good one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.