Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,-

Anyone know who makes these?? I notice that they're made in CA, but just curious if BB has they're own factory up there or if it's contracted?

On another note I find these shirts to be really nice for the price- They're light, soft, fit decent and get better with age...Brooks still does a few things right:p...

Anyone have any other favorite undershirt brands/recommendations?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
When you say "CA", I assume you mean Canada and not California? is there a "CA number" (the equivalent of the US RN number).

I believe they may be made here in Montreal because about 2 years ago, a thrift shop I go to from time to time had racks of BB boxer shorts and a few undershirts. On the same racks, you could also find underwear for Nordstrom.

Given the quantity of these items, I assume there'd been a donation from a local manufacturer.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks for bringing up this topic, I have been wondering about Brooks' undershirts but have not tried them yet.

Besides general softness, construction, comfort, etc., my main criteria for undershirts is the crewneck collar. That is, I want the collar to not sag, roll, shrink, or do anything but remain the same as the moment I bought the undershirt. I have generally been disappointed in all the Hanes and Fruit of the Loom undershits with regards to the collar, even on the "premium" level shirts in those brands. However, I recently tried Lands' End undershirts are have been converted...they are passing my tests with flying colors...perfect collar wash after wash. Very happy with LE - no doubt worth the extra price over Hanes and Fruit of the Loom. However, at the same time, the quality of the LE has got me curious about the Brooks' shirts and whether the $10 BB price differential over LE might indicate an even more superior undershirt.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Thanks for bringing up this topic, I have been wondering about Brooks' undershirts but have not tried them yet.

Besides general softness, construction, comfort, etc., my main criteria for undershirts is the crewneck collar. That is, I want the collar to not sag, roll, shrink, or do anything but remain the same as the moment I bought the undershirt. I have generally been disappointed in all the Hanes and Fruit of the Loom undershits with regards to the collar, even on the "premium" level shirts in those brands. However, I recently tried Lands' End undershirts are have been converted...they are passing my tests with flying colors...perfect collar wash after wash. Very happy with LE - no doubt worth the extra price over Hanes and Fruit of the Loom. However, at the same time, the quality of the LE has got me curious about the Brooks' shirts and whether the $10 BB price differential over LE might indicate an even more superior undershirt.
I have tried both Brooks and LE (and Jockey) and can attest that LE has a much better collar and fit (for me) in general. I think it's a better constructed shirt.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hmm..that's an interesting question. I think the Brooks shirt has maintained it's collar shape. However I did think Brook's collar was very low/sagged down from the start. At first I thought this bothered me, but for me it makes the collar less visible when under a shirt that's unbuttoned, which I like...

I haven't tried the LE shirt, so I can't really compare, but I know Brooks is made with Supima cotton, which makes it really soft. I'd give them a try around BB sale time and you'll only be paying an extra $5...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Hello,-

Anyone know who makes these?? I notice that they're made in CA, but just curious if BB has they're own factory up there or if it's contracted?

On another note I find these shirts to be really nice for the price- They're light, soft, fit decent and get better with age...Brooks still does a few things right:p...

Anyone have any other favorite undershirt brands/recommendations?
I have started buying BB undershirts. A year ago I would have slapped myself for buying "expensive" undershirts, but I am glad now that I invested the money. They are longer than average, which is great . I hate undershirts that come untucked inside your dress shirt. They also don't shrink, and seem to hold up very well to multiple washings. I'll never go back to Hanes or any other cheaper undershirt.
The Hegemon quote is from another T shirt thread on the Fashion forum. I have not tried the BB shirt.

I noticed that the local Sears had LE T shirt (and all men's under garments) on sale for 40% off last week.

I just bought the JC Penney premium T shirt last week. Can't say how they hold up but several forum members highly recommend them. They are very soft, but heavier than most t shirts. I like the substantial feel. The crew collar rides fairly high. Also, I got a set that was is the "older" style package (the supply of these was very low). The tail is quite a bit longer than any T shirt I've previously tried. It seems they may have changed this T shirt (the packaging is different ) and a check of the Penney's website indicates that quite a few people think the quality has been lowered.

·
Registered
108 Posts
While I haven't tried the BB undershirts, I tried the Nordstrom offering a few years ago and now I swear by them. Soft, sturdy supima cotton that's ultra comfy and fits perfectly. I'll also add that their boxer briefs are equally awesome. I'm very satisfied, no interest in trying anything else. Try 'em out.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The collars on BB undershirts will not hold up after one washing. They quickly
begin rolling and stretching out and are quite irritating to wear.
The BB V-Necks are too deep, and they too stretch.

All my BB undershirts have ended up in my garage, where they make excellent
polishing cloths for the cars.

I just bought six Staffords and so far, the collars are holding up very well after
washing.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I hate how a crewneck undershirt starts to roll at the neck, so I mostly wear V-necks so that this isn't an issue. I will say that the plain jane Hanes with the no roll collar are quite good. I get 6 for $9 at Target; that's pretty hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I hate how a crewneck undershirt starts to roll at the neck, so I mostly wear V-necks so that this isn't an issue. I will say that the plain jane Hanes with the no roll collar are quite good. I get 6 for $9 at Target; that's pretty hard to beat.
+1. Hanes w/ no-roll collar are terrific. 6 for $9 at Target and even less at Wal-Mart.

Also, Costco's Kirkland brand undershirts are great as well. Beefy T's and they retain their shape and the collar does not roll.

Cheers.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Hanes may be cheap, but you get what you pay for. The length shrank about three inches in the wash. So much for keeping tucked in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I generally wear the Nordstrom brand undershirt and second the post by Andy S. I like them quite a bit. During the recent BB sale, I did purchase a 3 pack of their offering to try, since I was already at the store trying on suits and they were having a good sale on them. While I wear a large in Nordstrom, the large in BB was much too large and I had to exchange for the medium. The BB u/s I have are marked made in Thailand.
To be clear, I am not talking about the 346 undershirts from the factory outlet stores but the ones from the mainline BB store.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
I've been a fan of BB's undergarments for years and still am. However, I've gotta say the T's offered by RibbedT have me thinking I will go to RibbedT for my shirts and stick with BB for my shorts. The fit of the RibbedT Classic is much like a (very comfortable) second skin, with absolutely no wrinkles of fabric to be seen through your outer shirt!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Hanes may be cheap, but you get what you pay for. The length shrank about three inches in the wash. So much for keeping tucked in.
I order Jockey v-necks online in tall sizes. I never have a problem with them pulling out.

I am satisfied with them in all other respects as well. A set of 6 lasts me about 6 months without any discoloration, shrinkage, problems with the collars.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Thanks for the tip, but Jockey unfortunately doesn't make any Medium Talls. Weird, since even Hanes does that for certain products. (Though the long john top I got was too short after a few washings.)

I'm also concerned with the size of armholes in undershirts. Those also play a factor in comfort and guarding against sweat stains.

Has anyone worn BB's Country Club undershirts? I'm interested in one for the old school, non-ribbed collar. Wondering if the mercerisation makes any real difference in their durability among other factors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.