Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the local BB this weekend and picked up the new BB catalog - the back page says "please deliver August 25-27" so perhaps you'll see it shortly. It is squarish 7" or 8" in size but over 250 pages. Really enjoyable to browse through and a fine bit of nostalgic brand reinforcing. No women's or children's wear - it seems to be the entire universe of men's wardrobe staples, including formalwear and high end accessories, presented in an orderly fashion. The catalog seems to be making the case that BB is THE universal haberdasher for the well-dressed American. Spaced throughout the catalog are old BB photos drawing on BB history. One that caught my eye (pg 60) is of a couple 3btn sack suits from '63. (On the jacket the upper button is at the top of the breast pocket and the lower just above the lower pocket.) Anyway its worth seeking out. Made me more optimistic about the future of BB, even if in the back of my mind I don't believe it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
One of the sacks you mention just came into my possession. It is a brownish greyish summerweight and the top buttonhole is almost above the breast pocket.

I wish Brooks would start making stuff like this again. The lapels are narrower but not so narrow as to offend those looking for a conservative suit.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of the sacks you mention just came into my possession. It is a brownish greyish summerweight and the top buttonhole is almost above the breast pocket.

I wish Brooks would start making stuff like this again. The lapels are narrower but not so narrow as to offend those looking for a conservative suit.
Very nice find - the sleeveheads' nice roundness embarrasses the pointy shouldered current offerings.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

Very nice suit, it looks great.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

The location of the (front) three buttons--the bottom one is above the lower flapped pockets; the top one is well over the edge of the breast pocket. Compare/contrast that with most of the sacks available today.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Was at the local BB this weekend and picked up the new BB catalog - the back page says "please deliver August 25-27" so perhaps you'll see it shortly. It is squarish 7" or 8" in size but over 250 pages. Really enjoyable to browse through and a fine bit of nostalgic brand reinforcing. No women's or children's wear - it seems to be the entire universe of men's wardrobe staples, including formalwear and high end accessories, presented in an orderly fashion. The catalog seems to be making the case that BB is THE universal haberdasher for the well-dressed American. Spaced throughout the catalog are old BB photos drawing on BB history. One that caught my eye (pg 60) is of a couple 3btn sack suits from '63. (On the jacket the upper button is at the top of the breast pocket and the lower just above the lower pocket.) Anyway its worth seeking out. Made me more optimistic about the future of BB, even if in the back of my mind I don't believe it.
Speas, I think you and I live near the same Brooks. I'm planning to pay a visit later today.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Got mine in the mail on Friday, I think. 'Twas pretty neat, IMO. Kind of part reference book, part catalog. Some good propaganda on the part of the brethren.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Umm, how to get on this mailing list?

Got mine in the mail on Friday, I think. 'Twas pretty neat, IMO. Kind of part reference book, part catalog. Some good propaganda on the part of the brethren.
I thought my mailbox was filled with every catalogue BB printed, but evidently not. Those filled half with women's and kids' clothes I can do without, but I'd like to get my hands on this one. How do you go about getting on the mailing list for this particular, all-men's products listing?

Just wondering ... and thanks.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts

I sold you that, I believe.

Glad you like it.

More to come in September.

·
Registered
153 Posts
JLAnderson: I really don't know. They do have a "request a catalog" link on the website, but since you apparently already get regular mailings from them, I'm not sure that the link would help. I will say that I did order a sportcoat earlier this summer (an online purchase, if that would make any difference vs. using their 800 number).

Speaking of 800 numbers, perhaps you could call and request this catalog specifically? Or perhaps yours is already on the way and just hasn't quite made it to the house yet....hard to tell with bulk mailings. Last resort would be visiting a bricks & mortar location, where they may or may not have them on hand.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I picked one up today at 346 Madison Avenue, and after looking through it I've come to a conclusion that it is a neat little marketing gimmick, but I am not horribly impressed overall.

The formalwear section is terrible, the tailcoat looks sloppy, and nothing jumps out at me...just more of the same modern BB stuff...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Nothing in my mailbox today, might have to put in a special request for this one...

Brian
Brian -

Give B2 a call, as I'm sure they'd be happy to mail one out to you.

It's a neat little book that is one part catalog, one part guide, and one part history book. Nice little marketing tool. Also, I noticed that in the top right corner on the cover it says Vol. 1. Hopefully, there will be future volumes.

Cheers.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The location of the (front) three buttons--the bottom one is above the lower flapped pockets; the top one is well over the edge of the breast pocket. Compare/contrast that with most of the sacks available today.
Yep, he button placement is higher than on the sack I wore to the office yesterday (BB Makers, navy GlenPlaid, 1/3 lined). Otherwise the cut is very similar with a little padding in the shoulders.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.