Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front page of the business section this morning. As a law student, I'm thrilled. There's surprisingly little to chose from in Vancouver between Moores (MW) and Harry Rosen, especially if you want anything "nice". When I was trying to find a suit for interviews this fall I ended up ordering from Brook's website because nobody here could beat $600 on a navy or grey suit, what with the recent sale. That, and they don't charge you $40 for shipping like J. Press.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm glad on one hand, and hope that they do really well.

On the other hand, getting to go to BB is one of the joys of vacations. I hope this isn't diminished by having one within driving distance.

I second the hope that they begin mail order shipping from within Canada. That would be really nice.

·
Registered
450 Posts

On the other hand, getting to go to BB is one of the joys of vacations. I hope this isn't diminished by having one within driving distance.

I second the hope that they begin mail order shipping from within Canada. That would be really nice.
Let's not hold our breath for mail order - GAP still doesn't ship to or within Canada.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Green3 said:
jeansguy said:

Let's not hold our breath for mail order - GAP still doesn't ship to or within Canada.
But then the GAP has bricks-and-mortar stores in Canada. Certainly Bean is the right way to do international mail order, but they don't have any stores in Canada.

BB in Canada? I remember not long after I joined this forum the same thing was floated, but that was 3 years ago. When I can walk along Bloor Street in Toronto and see a BB store then I'll believe it.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
L.L. Bean and Canada? C'mon, it's a perfect fit, eh? ;)

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
BB's choice of Vancouver as the location for their first store shows they've done the market research. Vancouver is currently worse off for men's clothing than Toronto or Montreal. There really is a gap in Canada between Moore's and Harry Rosen. Although a few independent retailers exist in this gap, they're few and far between. Unfortunately, this will also impact on the volume of business that OL&C does, since they get a lot of Canadian customers. On the positive side, it will probably mean a return of Alden shoes to Canada (currently only two stores carry them and only one of those stocks any more than a couple of models).

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I think I own more made in Canada garments then I do Brooks Brothers. BB is obviously more trad then most canadian labels, but I'd take Jack Victor, Coppley, and Samuelsohn over Brooks any day. I also like Ballin trousers and some S. Cohen stuff. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any Updates?

I know that this is an old thread, but hopefully it will get pushed to the top of the pile.

Has anyone heard about this location in Vancouver? I can't see it anywhere. Are there still plans for a BB store in Van?

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Does anyone have any updated news on this expansion? I mean, other than "coming soon!"

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went the other day. It's smaller than I thought it would be, but nicely laid out and very bright. Very restrained sales staff—they don't follow you around like at Harry Rosen. I saw some suits for $1299 but didn't check which model. I know there are suits going for US$1000 and $1100 at the moment, so you're paying a premium over the exchange rate, as expected. Still, very convenient, and you also have to factor in shipping.

I'm sure that the shoe selection will be appreciated given the current choice of overpriced AEs at Ingledews, and overpriced Church's at Holts. I also like the fact that, despite the atmosphere, you're not actually paying more at Brooks for many non-suit items than you would at a mall.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.