Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fashionably astute gentlemen/women,

First, as a newcomer, I have to say I've enjoyed reading many of your posts. It's amazing how education reveals my own ignorance!

I have a specific question about Brooks Brothers argyle socks. I have purchased several pair - cotton & wool. The cotton seems to hold up pretty well, but the wool socks seem to be wearing out and unraveling, and only after four or five wearings and washes. Has anybody else run into this problem?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hello fashionably astute gentlemen/women,

First, as a newcomer, I have to say I've enjoyed reading many of your posts. It's amazing how education reveals my own ignorance!

I have a specific question about Brooks Brothers argyle socks. I have purchased several pair - cotton & wool. The cotton seems to hold up pretty well, but the wool socks seem to be wearing out and unraveling, and only after four or five wearings and washes. Has anybody else run into this problem?
I purchased several pairs of their socks @ 50% off, happy they were on sale but still disappointed with the wear. I hand wash and hang dry and they still look frayed and have shrunk.

Not worth the money in my book...

·
Registered
780 Posts
I do not know whether Brooks 346 socks which I've purchased at their
outlet are appreciably different than BB cotton lisle which I've purchased
in their regular stores. In any case, in my experience the outlet socks
fall apart within a year. I am not as sure about those from BB stores.
They are machine washed but not put in the drier. IMHO, over the last
20 years or so, much of what BB sells is junk. I like their oxford cloth
pajamas, for example. I've worn them for years. Recent purchases are
a type of cotton that does not soften with wear as does real oxford cloth.
Naturally they are made (probably by prisoners) in China.

·
Senior Moderator<br>Technical Support
2,654 Posts
I have not been impressed by the quality of BB socks. The sized wool ones are okay, I guess, but the rest don't seem very nice to me. In any case, the drier is death to knitwear of all kinds. If you want the socks to last longer, air or line dry them.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
My BB socks have not held up well to repeated washings. However, GoldToe socks, at about 1/4 the price (at the outlet store), have proven to be very durable, as well as being comfortable...a great value!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.