Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first new BB button-down yesterday. I wound up with a Slim-fit BD in a 16/34. Its been ironed but not washed and is a perfect fit except for being too baggy around my waist, which I will have tailored.

Since I need to have this shirt tailored anyway, I'm thinking of trying a traditional fit untreated shirt (they only have untreated shirts in the traditional fit) next.

I have some thrifted 16/34 BB regular fit shirts and the collar is slightly tighter (which is fine but a little tight) and the sleeves just barely too short. The salesman told me its because they are untreated they shrunk more than my new shirt will. I'm skeptical, as I hope to wear my new shirt until its completely worn out, and I think it will probably shrink by that point. I'd rather have an untreated shirt that will do most of its shrinking at the beginning of its life.

So I'm thinking about a non-non-iron 16 1/2 / 35 traditional fit shirt, having it tapered, and the sleeves shortened by a half-inch. After it shrinks will I wind up with a similar fit to my 16/34 slim fit?

-Will

· Banned
661 Posts
Get the untreated. They do shrink a bit in both the neck and sleaves, so if need be buy up a size. You will find that 99% of the posters in this area of the forum are not big fans of the treated shirts.

I tried the treated wrinkle frees and ended up sending them to the cleaners to eventually wash and starch much of the treatment out of them. Eventually, after several washings, they end up closer to the untreated, but never the same.

· Registered
6,066 Posts
They don't? :confused: https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=664

But to answer your question: No; There are other differences in cut between Traditional and Slim-Fit that shrinking/tapering alone probably won't remove.

The sizing page is "incomplete." The yoke depth, the shoulder line, and the armhole are different as well.

The best information is under Select Shirts. Go there and click "Learn More" under Fit. https://www.brooksbrothers.com/selectshirts/selectshirts.tem#app=3472&d2df-selectedIndex=3

You may decide you like the differences. Good Luck!

· Registered
5,852 Posts
If the Slim-Fit is so big you need tailoring, the Trad fit is going to be way huge on you. You'll be drowning in oxford cloth, and your alterations tailor may not be able to pull you out.

FWIW, I think you're talking about a lot of tailoring on what are basically supposed to be out of the box shirts. If you get the sleeves shortened, you'll probably lose the distinctive cluster of tiny pleats that BB uses to gather its shirts' sleeves into their cuffs, which would be regrettable and would cost you style points.

Follow ksinc's link and get some slimfit ocbd's in 16.5/35. (If between sizes, always get the next biggest.)

· Registered
6,066 Posts
The salesperson made it seem like these were unavailable. I should have checked the website more closely.

Thanks for the input, I think next shirt I buy will be one of these in 16/35 and see how it goes.

-Will
I think some of the stores don't have them, but they are on the web. It's weird. Good Luck!

· Registered
5,852 Posts
BB stores, even the big ones, carry uneven stocks of shirts. Whether this is by design (they are tracking what sells) or by happenstance, I do not know.

I do know, however, that if you see a shirt you like on the website or in a catalogue and make a note of the item number, the BB store staff will often be willing to order the shirt for you. Last time I had some shirts ordered in (last month), it took about a week and I had to make a trip back to the store, but OTOH did not have to pay any postage costs.

· Registered
1,387 Posts
Brooks inconsistent stock is irritating. I'd just order from the website if I were you. You can get exactly what you want very easily once you have determined your size. The Select and MTM shirts at BB aren't that great of a deal if you ask me - they are pricey for what you get and don't offer enough flexibility...

· Registered
100 Posts
Brooks inconsistent stock is irritating. I'd just order from the website if I were you. You can get exactly what you want very easily once you have determined your size. The Select and MTM shirts at BB aren't that great of a deal if you ask me - they are pricey for what you get and don't offer enough flexibility...
What exactly is their Select line? Does it just offer a little more customization than off the rack, but not as much as MTM?

· Registered
6,066 Posts
What exactly is their Select line? Does it just offer a little more customization than off the rack, but not as much as MTM?
I buy the Select line. It is cheaper than Robert Talbott MTO.

That's pretty much it. More like Special Order than MTM. And it comes from Garfield, NC.

There's not a whole lot you can change. They let you remove or have side pleats instead of center pleat, remove the pocket, or add a sleeve button.

They also have some different collar selections. So, if you want the Supima cloth from the OCBD with a Tennis Collar you could get it.

One other thing is they give you half sizes in sleeves which RTW does not do.

You can get the Regular fit too; which is inbetween Traditional and Slim-fit.

Soemtimes, reading the forum, I think I'm the only customer that uses the Select Shirt program.

· Registered
715 Posts
The Brooks Brothers in Scottsdale does not carry slim-fit performance polos. Apparently they don't sell enough to make it worthwhile to keep them in stock.

I don't know about the slim-fit OCBD's, but other than a few ties, I've pretty much ordered everything from the website.

· Registered
5,852 Posts
The Select shirts are stock singles or MTO (made to order), certainly not MTM.

The starting price is $127.50/per shirt. Considering that I can get Hemrajani MTM shirts made from Thos. Mason Silverline fabrics for $125/per (albeit w/ a minimum order size of 2 shirts), I don't find the Select shirts to be a good deal.

· Registered
6,066 Posts
+1 on the BB Select. I use it for 80's & 100's broadcloth without a pocket, especially the bolder stripes & checks for "business casual" at work.
I would do that too, but they seem incapable of providing the sport front or even the "luxury" sport shirt buttons. Even if I call and do a "Custom Order."

Have you had any success with either of these?

Something like this: https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCa..._Id=1398887&Parent_Id=297&default_color=Green

If the same shirt from RT wasn't $235-$295 I wouldn't even bother with BB Select.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.