Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How dependent is this program on the proficiency of the store associate who is doing the measuring? Is there a big difference between the skills of associates at various stores? Has anyone gone through this program, and does it seem worth it? I'm 6-5, so I can be a little hard to fit.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
How dependent is this program on the proficiency of the store associate who is doing the measuring? Is there a big difference between the skills of associates at various stores? Has anyone gone through this program, and does it seem worth it? I'm 6-5, so I can be a little hard to fit.
IMHO, the associate's familiarity with the MTM program (not just clothes, not just MTM, but the store's specific program), with tailoring, with clothes in general and his or her desire to truly get you a great outcome is critical to the success of your MTM order. If you are hesitant about the person helping you for any of those reasons - move on / get another associate / go to another store / get out.

And, yes, skills vary from associate to associate and store to store. In general, flagship stores, like the Madison Avenue one in NYC, get a lot of MTM orders, so they have sales associates familiar with the process. Some branches probably do to, but many don't. You want to avoid those that don't as you don't want the sales associate learning the system on your MTM order.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
While I haven't used it, I would think the proficiency of the store tailor and sales associates would be paramount to the process. The Brooks store where I shopped was opened in 1980 and the tailor there came with it. He was a classically trained middle-aged Italian gentleman at the time, and was superb at handling anything with which he ever dealt. When he measured me for any alteration, he usually knew what had to be done before he ever applied a tape measure, and all was accomplished perfectly. When they began their MTM program, he was the individual that handled the ordering. It was obvious that most stores didn't have such a resource, and was so acknowledged to me by the salesmen there who had also been there many years.

A critical portion of any MTM process is the measuring and ordering. The importance of the measuring speaks for itself. But the ordering process itself can also be quite complex and detailed, and requires a thorough level of knowledge on behalf of the person using it. Just given the churn that now is the norm at most retail stores, I would think there must be huge disparities in experience and knowledge among various staff at different stores.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
...A critical portion of any MTM process is the measuring and ordering. The importance of the measuring speaks for itself. But the ordering process itself can also be quite complex and detailed, and requires a thorough level of knowledge on behalf of the person using it. Just given the churn that now is the norm at most retail stores, I would think there must be huge disparities in experience and knowledge among various staff at different stores.
⇧ Yes, yes, yes. The order process, at least where I've done MTM, is complicated and - to get it right - requires a great familiarity with a complex form (now online) with many data fields to be properly entered. I have had two MTM orders done incorrectly for that exact reason - form filled out wrong.

To be sure, Flanderian is correct about the measuring process - but as he also notes - that's to be expected. What isn't obvious is how complicated the ordering process can be for the associate, so you don't want someone learning on your order.

You need a store where they do a lot of MTM and an associate who's worked at that store and on that MTM program for a few seasons, at least. And, of course, he also needs to be good at measuring, at identifying quirks in your proportions that can be address through MTM and he needs to be good at helping guide you through the program's options. A good MTM salesperson is hard to find - pretty much like a good anything.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I am almost 6'3" and 260lbs with now about a 13-14" drop. I just finally completed a Golden Fleece MTM at the Seattle location. Initially I was very happy with the service as their program has the ability to adjust or correct for about anything you can think of including posture, sloping shoulders, etc... For more difficult fits they typically will do a shell to ascertain fit and then order the complete jacket. I am a very difficult fit and my measurements were taken by two employees and the manager. After that it all started to go down hill. It was about an 8 month process that took 2 separate remakes, a trip back to the plant for "final adjustments" after the second remake. They then shipped me the garment and my tailor is making true final corrections including cleaning up the shoulders which I was pretty unhappy with. Throughout the 8 months I was assigned 4 different salesman and women as they were either quitting or fired. When I finally get the jacket back from my tailor I will try and post some photos so you can see how everything looks. I would be willing to give Brooks another shot but I would definitely give you the advice that you choose a veteran employee that understands the process from start to finish.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
I have had four suits, a sports jacket, and any number of shirts MTM at Brooks Brothers over the last 15 to 20 years, but I have the advantage of being in a city in which there is a critical mass of clients who require those services from Brooks, and for which Brooks maintains experienced staff to take the measurements, and take the orders correctly.

I did have one batch of shirts that was problematic - not in terms of fit, but in terms of errors or misunderstandings as to fabrics. I've been fortunate in that the gentlemen (or, for the last several years, one gentleman) that have taken my measurements have been well-experienced (my first MTM suit was fitted by Martin Greenfield - a real experience).

I am also fortunate that, unlike Jgarner, whose measurements vary a great deal from the average sizes of men's tailoring, I am a very ordinary shape and size, so that there are fewer variations needed to accurately fit me from a standard suit pattern.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I have had four suits, a sports jacket, and any number of shirts MTM at Brooks Brothers over the last 15 to 20 years, but I have the advantage of being in a city in which there is a critical mass of clients who require those services from Brooks, and for which Brooks maintains experienced staff to take the measurements, and take the orders correctly.

I did have one batch of shirts that was problematic - not in terms of fit, but in terms of errors or misunderstandings as to fabrics. I've been fortunate in that the gentlemen (or, for the last several years, one gentleman) that have taken my measurements have been well-experienced (my first MTM suit was fitted by Martin Greenfield - a real experience).

I am also fortunate that, unlike Jgarner, whose measurements vary a great deal from the average sizes of men's tailoring, I am a very ordinary shape and size, so that there are fewer variations needed to accurately fit me from a standard suit pattern.
I think your experience speaks eloquently to the OP's issue of locale making a determinative difference in the process.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called my nearest store today (Raleigh, NC) and asked the girl if they did MTM. She confirmed that they did. I then asked if there was a particular person who did the measurements. She said, “Oh, no, we pretty much all do that.” Ugh.

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
I called my nearest store today (Raleigh, NC) and asked the girl if they did MTM. She confirmed that they did. I then asked if there was a particular person who did the measurements. She said, "Oh, no, we pretty much all do that." Ugh.
You are correct to be wary. I've had several suits, sport coats and shirts made at Polo MTM in NYC. Even there - where there are many experienced MTM salesmen - the skill levels differ greatly and matter.

For my first suit, I got a nice salesman who seemed to know what he was doing (this was my first Polo MTM experience and, probably my second or third MTM effort anywhere) and he seemed pretty good. He took measurements, asks questions and the result was decent.

When I went back to do it again, he wasn't there and another salesman worked with me. Holy cow, what a difference. He really, really knew what he was doing.

He was incredibly helpful, thoughtful and skilled. He explained differences in materials (how they'd breath, drape, wear, etc.), provided great color on how different models would fit my frame, brought out an experienced tailor and the two spent a lot of time measuring me in detail (the two of them had discussions about how this or that change would impact this or that outcome) and he knew - with comfort - how to fill everything out.

When I came back for the fittings, he was actively engaged, never hesitated to fix something (he would recommend it even if I was okay with something - i.e., he wasn't trying to get me out of the store / he wanted me to have the best result) and when it was all done, he told me to come back anytime if I wanted something worked on (which I did a few times, and he was always positive and helpful).

As noted, while the first Polo salesman was fine - the second guy (who I used for years until I started working from home and no longer needed those type of clothes) was light-years better.

That's why most of my MTM is from Polo. MTM is expensive, you don't want a bad experience and you deserve a great, not good or okay salesperson. I don't really know what to suggest you do. Perhaps call the New York store - explain what you are looking for and what you want to avoid - and see if they recommend a salesperson for MTM at a store in driving distance from you. I did this for my girlfriend's father who lives in MI and he had a great MTM experience with the salesman recommend by "my guy" in NYC. Good luck.

G

·
I called my nearest store today (Raleigh, NC) and asked the girl if they did MTM. She confirmed that they did. I then asked if there was a particular person who did the measurements. She said, "Oh, no, we pretty much all do that." Ugh.
I have purchased 3 made to measure suits from the Raleigh store and was very pleased. I am a very weird size and cannot wear anything off the rack that looks good.

It's been a while but Kelly the store manager is awesome and the tailors there are as well. I've had 3 different associates fulfill the order while all along the tailor did the measuring and the work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.