Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While visiting the Somerset Mall in Troy, Michigan, yesterday, I was disappointed with my experience in Brooks Brothers.

Besides having to track down a salesman after browsing for 20 minutes (I suppose they assumed a young lad in his mid-20s wearing jeans, white sneakers, and parka wouldn't be a likely customer despite the fact that I am a loyal customer), I was frankly offended when the salesman was shocked that I asked for a jacket in a 3/2 roll. His words were, "Don't you want to come into the 21st Century?" He went on to call me old-fashioned and question why on earth I would fancy such a style.

After searching, he found me one in a Brooksease model -- a jacket which was frankly overpriced with a hand that didn't feel any better than an American Living or Chaps suit.

The salesman also informed me that Brooks Brothers was slowly getting rid of its 3/2 roll jackets.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
His words were, "Don't you want to come into the 21st Century?" He went on to call me old-fashioned and question why on earth I would fancy such a style.
I would have asked him why he thought he should remain employed at a shop that sold such things.

I went into Boyd's in Philadelphia wearing a suit I had bought at Lord & Taylor. Can't remember who made it. He told me that Lord & Taylor was an "old ladies' store." I never went back to Boyd's again. One doesn't insult one's competition, or one's customers.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would have asked him why he thought he should remain employed at a shop that sold such things.

I went into Boyd's in Philadelphia wearing a suit I had bought at Lord & Taylor. Can't remember who made it. He told me that Lord & Taylor was an "old ladies' store." I never went back to Boyd's again. One doesn't insult one's competition, or one's customers.
Yeah, I won't go back. I'm going to write a letter to corporate management.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hockey,

As per our talk about the Bachrach "MTM" suits; take Questionable's lead on the H. Freeman Naturalaire; these are made by the same outfit that I use for my MTM suits. The quality blows anything by BB out of the water (excepting Golden Fleece) and they can do a jacket in any style you so choose. The sacks are authentically detailed also if thats what you want - lapped seams, hooked vents, the whole bit. Outstanding value and fit.

·
Registered
327 Posts
While visiting the Somerset Mall in Troy, Michigan, yesterday, I was disappointed with my experience in Brooks Brothers.

Besides having to track down a salesman after browsing for 20 minutes (I suppose they assumed a young lad in his mid-20s wearing jeans, white sneakers, and parka wouldn't be a likely customer despite the fact that I am a loyal customer), I was frankly offended when the salesman was shocked that I asked for a jacket in a 3/2 roll.
I used to be a regular Somerset BB customer before changing allegiances to the Partridge Creek location. I had not visited the Somerset BB for quite some time (six months or more) until doing so on several consecutive weekends recently. I have to say, my recent experiences were similar to yours as far as the lack of attention received. It was pretty clear that the sales staff was no longer taking turns on customers as they walked on. My guess is that somehow the sales incentives/commissions were changed or there has been a some other shift in service philosophy there. Very disappointing, as one used to be able to expect a good visit at the Somerset BB.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Disappointing, yes. It used to be, 20 or 25 years ago, that the service at my local Brooks Brothers was very like the service at my club just five blocks south. There, they say, "Hello Mr. Rojo, it's nice to see you again," just as soon as they see me. Sometimes they tell me about a new brand of gin or a dinner special, but when I order my usual martini or favorite sandwich, they don't call me old-fashioned and question why I want that.

That kind of service was one thing that set Brooks apart from more pedestrian retail experiences.

I'm sure the fellow at the Somerset Mall didn't mean to give offense.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Disappointing, yes. It used to be, 20 or 25 years ago, that the service at my local Brooks Brothers was very like the service at my club just five blocks south. There, they say, "Hello Mr. Rojo, it's nice to see you again," just as soon as they see me. Sometimes they tell me about a new brand of gin or a dinner special, but when I order my usual martini or favorite sandwich, they don't call me old-fashioned and question why I want that.

That kind of service was one thing that set Brooks apart from more pedestrian retail experiences.

I'm sure the fellow at the Somerset Mall didn't mean to give offense.
In my case, it was profiling. They assumed that a youngish person, wearing jeans and a parka, wouldn't be a customer. I doubt a 60-year-old would have received the same treatment or comment about my sartorial taste.

·
Registered
680 Posts

Besides having to track down a salesman after browsing for 20 minutes (I suppose they assumed a young lad in his mid-20s wearing jeans, white sneakers, and parka wouldn't be a likely customer despite the fact that I am a loyal customer), I was frankly offended when the salesman was shocked that I asked for a jacket in a 3/2 roll. His words were, "Don't you want to come into the 21st Century?" He went on to call me old-fashioned and question why on earth I would fancy such a style.

After searching, he found me one in a Brooksease model -- a jacket which was frankly overpriced with a hand that didn't feel any better than an American Living or Chaps suit.

The salesman also informed me that Brooks Brothers was slowly getting rid of its 3/2 roll jackets.
I sell suits for a living. I make a living on commission. I have absolutely no idea why a suit salesman would say any of the above.

Do me a favor, next time some no talent clown like that pops off, politely tell him that as soon as he gets off the fashion bandwagon and starts dressing to his own style, he can help you out; but until then you'd like someone else to help you out.

A great haberdasher knows his clients' style and dresses them accordingly, while making a few suggestions to help broaden horizons.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had a similar, though not as offensive experience, at the BB in the St. Louis Galleria. A salesman approached me, I told him what I was looking for and he got a look I can only describe as shocked/dumbfounded then said "you're the youngest person I've ever had ask for a sack suit". I feel like it was the same message you received though presented in a much more acceptable form.

At any rate, you should certainly report that to corporate. It's sad to see that sales associates in a store like BB have begun providing that kind of service to their clientele.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I bought a glen plaid sack sportcoat at BB on Mich Ave in Chicago a few years ago. The salesman was skeptical that someone my age would want such a garment- I must have been around 30 at the time. I didn't ask whether it was the style or the pattern that he found objectionable, but he isn't some young kid, and he's been there a long time- maybe longer than I've been shopping there.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had a similar, though not as offensive experience, at the BB in the St. Louis Galleria. A salesman approached me, I told him what I was looking for and he got a look I can only describe as shocked/dumbfounded then said "you're the youngest person I've ever had ask for a sack suit". I feel like it was the same message you received though presented in a much more acceptable form.
I visited both the Galleria and the West County BB stores the other day. There was a dramatic difference in the level of service, with the West County store being a much better experience.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Brooks blues

BB suffered a huge lapse when they were bought by the English -- at one point Consumer Reports rated their suits lower than J C Penney's. At one of their sales after the change in ownership, a kind fellow buyer at the Madison Ave. store steered toward the old dress shirts in the pile -- the new ones, he said, were "horsey." And around that time, I copped one of the last handmade, as opposed to benchmade, Peal captoes, which I wore until they could be repaired no longer. Here in Florida, at the very high-end Bal Harbour Stores mall, the sales staff was badly dressed and worse informed -- asking for a pair of madras shorts a young man brought me seersucker. Then under Italian ownership things have looked up, but sadly, a lot seems like spin on tradition rather than tradition itself, e.g. as noticed in many posts here there are no sack suits in stock. Still, the sales staff now seems to know a thing or two, although they are still surprised when I ask for non-non-iron and tell them, "I like wrinkles"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.